Map with water sources (geonames.org)

Started by void, February 14, 2019, 08:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

void

Short:

Is there a way to display data from //geonames.org in OruxMaps (offline)?

Hi all,

I found this website //mapcarta.com and noticed that it displays these water droplets at wells, water tanks, .... For example, this one:

http://i63.tinypic.com/tapikj.jpg">

I looked at some of these markers on satellite images and most of the time they show something that could be a water source.

I think the source for these "points of interest (POI)" is //geonames.org. So my question would be, if it is possible to render something like the water droplets with information as seen on //mapcarta.com in OruxMaps? Or if there is an offline- or downloadable online-map (MOBAC) that already incorporates these POI's?

Thanks

void

So today I created a gpx file from a geonames csv file. After filtering the US file for "Hydrographic" it leaves me with about 500k points, which converted to waypoints in the gpx file is about 100 MB. I am not able to import them via "Manage Waypoints" (Galaxy S5) into Oruxmaps. "Load KML/GPX file" works but it renders Oruxmaps almost inoperable. ...

Inconvenient solutions would be:

-   Reduce area

-   Maybe reduce file size by leaving out information

-   Filter out further points

Any suggestions how to do this would be much appreciated.

I looked at the POI SQLite file but it looks a bit more complex. Does anyone have a simple example how to create one? Preferably Python.