UTM grid support

Started by guoke, July 29, 2014, 09:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guoke

Dear team,

Thanks for the great App!

I have just one suggestion: Could you please add support for UTM grid?

It is very useful to estimate the distance for those maps without UTM grids.

Thanks and best regards,

Guoke

Maki

Isn't the measure tool handier?

guoke

When you are hiking/climbing, in most times you don't care the accurate distance, but just want a rough estimate.

Do you know how hikers estimate the time to be spent for a trip?

They count the number of UTM grips, and also calculate the height increase and decrease.

So, UTM grid helps a lot, and it quickly provide the help. (Yon't have to use a measure tool to draw a line segment, or even several).

guoke

Just found there is similar grid under Mercator projection.

So, maybe it is much more easier to support Mercator grid, especially for online maps, and offline maps under Mercator projection.

Maki

I only ever cared about height increase and decrease, but I suppose that on flatter terrain distance matters too so you have a point here.

However, rather than mimic paper techniques, I'd rather have a smarter measure tool that allows to draw freehand lines with a simple swipe. It would be simpler to use and more accurate. With DEM installed it could give the distance with an altimetric profile.

guoke

Just want to get a quick (and not accurate) answer without necessity of drawing freehand lines.

Normally I superimpose tracklogs when I am making a map, the tracklog is already there so I don't want to depict the tracklog with extra freehand lines :-)