Night Mode settings

Started by panda, November 01, 2014, 09:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panda

Hi Orux,

is there a possibilty to change the night mode settings?

Afaik no - but perhaps I missed something.

At the moment all lines are white and I cannot even see, if the line is a street/path or a river.

Thats a bit strange.

For mountainbiking I use a garmin map, where the tracks/paths have the colours red, green and brown.

It would be really helpful to see these ways in these colours.

In addition I'd like to ask for an easy way to change brightness of the screen.

One idea is: when you change to night mode, then the loudness buttons are used for brightness instead of digital zoom.

goosiebn

On the brightness issue, have you tried any auto brightness tools from Google Play- they usually allow the screen to automatically adjust to lower brightness settings than stock android. Lux is popular and includes temporary changes to brightness. I prefer Velis because it has a brightness preset of AMOLED Dim that suits me perfectly, even though my screen isn't amoled.

Maki

The night mode just turns the image greyscale and then makes a negative. What you ask makes a lot of sense, but the app doesn't know what lines mean. You can however, at least for mapsforge maps, build a custom theme with the colours you like.

panda

Quote from: "goosiebn"On the brightness issue, have you tried any auto brightness tools from Google Play- they usually allow the screen to automatically adjust to lower brightness settings than stock android. Lux is popular and includes temporary changes to brightness. I prefer Velis because it has a brightness preset of AMOLED Dim that suits me perfectly, even though my screen isn't amoled.

Hello goosiebn,

interesting tips, but I read on google play, that Lux does not work on android 4.4. I don't know if Velis works.

At the moment it would be the easiest to have an option within oruxmaps to change the loudness button to brightness setting instead of digital zoom.

@Maki: thanks for that info, I expexted something like this. Yesterday I was once more annoyed from the garmin maps, so finally I decided to stop using them and build my own MTB-Theme and additionly a MTB-Night-Theme.

But there's one more point, that should be improved:

when the screen is off and then screen is turned on (manually or by waypoint alarm) or when you zoom or scroll, om first paints a very bright grey screen

and then paints the map on that grey screen. It would be much better, if om paints the initial map on a black screen.

goosiebn

Quote from: "panda"but I read on google play, that Lux does not work on android 4.4. I don't know if Velis works.

Both work fine on 4.4 for me :)

Not knocking the idea of buttons for brightness, but you may be missing the opportunity to have the brightness working well for you all the time without having to manually adjust it.

Also, in any of these apps, I don't go for 'overlay', 'super dim', or 'night mode'. What these do is render a gray or red mask over the display. This takes extra processing/battery. I find it goes dim enough without.

sturmfrisur

Hi there,

I am using Oruxmaps for quite a while and I think it's been a year or so ago, since the "nightmode" has recieved it's redesign.

Since then I felt a little annoyed by the new "feature" and ever wanted to comment on this.

So finally, here I am.

My perception is, that the "new" nightmode

• blinds my eyes due to high screen brightness - despite of the mainly black map
    • is lacking recognizability of map details (would be better if using colours)

Before, the nightmode

• was some kind of superdim (I don't know how it technically was achieved)
    • featured a full coloured map
    • had a customizable brightness setting (1% was just fine for me)

Is there a way to get the old functionality back, possibly as an alternative setting? To my mind this would be a great improvement.

Besides that, I'm now also playing with Lux. I just find has the features I'm looking for, eg. automatic adaption to ambient light and different customizable profiles one can enable instead of nightmode.

Many thanks for that hint ;)

Best regards,

H.