The application starts very slowly (maps checking?)

Started by jcs, January 27, 2015, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcs

I'm a new user (for sailing in South Britain). Oruxmaps is a very good, very friendly and very complete application. Thank you and congratulations for all this work for many years. The developer does not often receives encouragement, I never fail to do so because I think many people do not realize the amount of work done voluntarily.  I know the subject. I develevop free software for Windows users.

I have installed two Oruxmaps releases on a Samsung Note 2 smartphone (Android 4.4.2) and on a Sony Xperia2 tablet (Android 4.4.4). One release is a very old one.

I have installed approximately 280 offline maps (Oruxmaps format) with overlapping areas on the second sd card.

I see the same behaviour on these two devices:

With Oruxmaps release 4.8.., exists a check quote " Skip map check" (Checked for me). Launching Oruxmaps is always very quick. Immediate.

With Oruxmaps release 6.0.2, this check quote doesn't exist.  Starting Oruxmaps takes a very, very long time 10, sometimes 20 minutes.

Did I forget to do something that would prevent reconstruct the maps database to each launch?

Thank You

jcs

After a night of reflection I wonder if the format of Oruxmaps maps has not changed slightly. This would explain why the new versions of Oruxmaps always begin with conversion.

My maps were generated by Desktop version 2.0.20 and I see that there is a new version of this program.

orux

Quote from: "jcs"After a night of reflection I wonder if the format of Oruxmaps maps has not changed slightly. This would explain why the new versions of Oruxmaps always begin with conversion.

My maps were generated by Desktop version 2.0.20 and I see that there is a new version of this program.

Hello;

There are no changes to the format of maps from long ago.

The 'skip check option' was removed because for some time the application makes a quick check to see if there are new maps in the maps folder. This check is very slow if the app finds new maps, because it has to recreate a internal database with the metadata of the maps.

It may be that there is some wrong map (a file with .map extension that is not a map, rmap not supported, ...) which makes each time the application is started, it has to do the slow check. If the wrong map is not removed, the start is always slow.

But I've never done tests with such amount of maps!

It is best to have the maps in folders, and enable/disable (long press on the folder) the folders you really are using. In this way you can detect if there are maps with problems, and startup much faster.

orux

jcs

Hi Orux,

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I think you put your finger on the problem since the format of maps has not changed.

I'll introduce maps gradually and see which ones cause this slow startup.

I'll let you know the result.