Green variometer in TC-4

Started by Holton181, January 27, 2015, 08:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holton181

Hi,

I have an Xperia Z3 and I'm playing around with the barometer a bit.

One thing I noticed is that in TC-4 the green variometer never moves?

I have the vario enabled and I've selected "Vertical Speed" as one of the values displayed among others together with the compass in TC-4. "Vertical Speed" do give me readouts that at least seam to have correct sign ('-' for sinking, '+' rising), hopefully correct values as well (don't have anything to compare with).

I guess the green variometer shall follow the "Vertical Speed"?

Also, what unit do the green variometer indicate? the unit I selected in settings?

Thanks!

orux

Quote from: "Holton181"Hi,

I have an Xperia Z3 and I'm playing around with the barometer a bit.

One thing I noticed is that in TC-4 the green variometer never moves?

I have the vario enabled and I've selected "Vertical Speed" as one of the values displayed among others together with the compass in TC-4. "Vertical Speed" do give me readouts that at least seam to have correct sign ('-' for sinking, '+' rising), hopefully correct values as well (don't have anything to compare with).

I guess the green variometer shall follow the "Vertical Speed"?

Also, what unit do the green variometer indicate? the unit I selected in settings?

Thanks!

Hi,

the units are m/s or ft/s.

This value is for aeronautical sports, where the vertical speed is important and appreciable.

orux

Holton181

Thank you orux for your answer. So the green "analog" variometer has the same unit as the "vertical speed" value if I understand you correctly?

But as I also mentioned my green variometer do not move although the "vertical speed" indicates vertikal movement. Is it a bug or do I miss something?

/H

orux

Quote from: "Holton181"Thank you orux for your answer. So the green "analog" variometer has the same unit as the "vertical speed" value if I understand you correctly?

But as I also mentioned my green variometer do not move although the "vertical speed" indicates vertikal movement. Is it a bug or do I miss something?

/H

Hi, you are right.

It seems that this feature is not very useful, because I think it never worked :)

I will try to solve that problem for next versions.

orux

Holton181

Good to hear it will be fixed (hopefully)  :)  

Amazing app by the way!  :D

Holton181

Now the green variometer in TC-4 seams to work in 6.4.0beta9 (maybe earlier).

Thank you for that.

But is seams to indicate m/s only, regardless of unit selected in settings.

Also, now the variometer value freezes when entering radar mode, both the green scale and the digital value originally in TC-3.

If I exit radar mode and enter again the value are updated but freezes again immediately.

This did not happen in a previous Play Store version. Unfortunately I do not remember what version I used when this did not happen.

Holton181

Quote from: "Holton181"Now the green variometer in TC-4 seams to work in 6.4.0beta9 (maybe earlier).

Wrong by me, it's not fixed, the beta and play store versions behaves the same.

Quote from: "Holton181"But is seams to indicate m/s only, regardless of unit selected in settings.

This is true though. The digital readings are given with the correct unit, but not the green scale.

The green scale also go in the wrong direction, when descending it goes up, ascending it goes down.

A not so good workaround is to use a suitable value in the 'Max. speed (m/s)' field in settings. Like -0.41666667 to get a maximum value of 25 m/min or -0.136701663 to get 25 ft/min (instead of m/s), and negative to get the green scale to go the correct way.

Quote from: "Holton181"Also, now the variometer value freezes when entering radar mode, both the green scale and the digital value originally in TC-3.

If I exit radar mode and enter again the value are updated but freezes again immediately.

I found this to be related to Vario settings.

'Altitude filter' needs to be same or higher than 'Sample rate (Hz)'.

Due to this the vertical speed is updated ones per second max, but it would be good be able to have it updated faster, i.e. with 'Altitude filter'=1 and 'Sample rate (Hz)'=8 would give an update frequency of 8 times/sec.

Also I have realized this thread belongs to the bug forum. I therefore start a new one there and link to this one.

orux

Quote from: "Holton181"
Quote from: "Holton181"Now the green variometer in TC-4 seams to work in 6.4.0beta9 (maybe earlier).

Wrong by me, it's not fixed, the beta and play store versions behaves the same.

Quote from: "Holton181"But is seams to indicate m/s only, regardless of unit selected in settings.

This is true though. The digital readings are given with the correct unit, but not the green scale.

The green scale also go in the wrong direction, when descending it goes up, ascending it goes down.

A not so good workaround is to use a suitable value in the 'Max. speed (m/s)' field in settings. Like -0.41666667 to get a maximum value of 25 m/min or -0.136701663 to get 25 ft/min (instead of m/s), and negative to get the green scale to go the correct way.

Quote from: "Holton181"Also, now the variometer value freezes when entering radar mode, both the green scale and the digital value originally in TC-3.

I found this to be related to Vario settings.

'Altitude filter' needs to be same or higher than 'Sample rate (Hz)'.

Due to this the vertical speed is updated ones per second max, but it would be good be able to have it updated faster, i.e. with 'Altitude filter'=1 and 'Sample rate (Hz)'=8 would give an update frequency of 8 times/sec.

Also I have realized this thread belongs to the bug forum. I therefore start a new one there and link to this one.

Hi,

thanks for testing the variometer.

remember that you need to start the vario in the map viewer if you want updated values in TC view.

I will release a new beta soon, that should solve some related problems,

orux

Holton181

Yes, I have it started in the map viewer. But as I mentioned, it only freeze if the 'Altitude filter' is lower than 'Sample rate (Hz)'

Looking forward for the new beta.

Thanks!

orux

Quote from: "Holton181"Yes, I have it started in the map viewer. But as I mentioned, it only freeze if the 'Altitude filter' is lower than 'Sample rate (Hz)'

Looking forward for the new beta.

Thanks!

Thanks;

yes, this bug will be removed in next version,

orux

Holton181

Excellent :)

Holton181

As it seems, these bugs ar now corrected in 6.4.0rc2 :)

Thanks!

Edit

6.5.0rc2 off course!

guiguima

Quote from: "orux"

Hi,

the units are m/s or ft/s.

This value is for aeronautical sports, where the vertical speed is important and appreciable.

orux

Is there a possibility to implement a new unit for vertical speed in m/hr (meters per hour) for cycling, hiking and ski touring ? I would appreciate it very much !

Thx

Guigui