Elevation gain calculated wrong

Started by peter9999, April 02, 2015, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter9999

Using orux as track recorder I sample the elevation gain (up and down) separately. I noticed that the calculated elevation gain DOWNWARDS is wrong. It jumps in the first meters of sampling erranous for some meters, even when these meters are on a plain. Testing it today for example it rised to -8m after 30m plain way

There must be an error in the calculation. the elevation gain upwards is obviously correct.

roadrunner0815

Facing the same problem.

I am using OruxMaps v.6.0.9 on an HTC ONE+ recording my bike tracks. It is a very good app but elevation gain calculation seems to be totally wrong.

Starting at 100m and reaching the highest elevation at 520m with a very constant climbing rate Orux gives me an elevation gain and loss of both about 1300m.

Please tell me if it is a feature. If it is bug it would be great if it could be fixed.

orux

Quote from: "roadrunner0815"Facing the same problem.

I am using OruxMaps v.6.0.9 on an HTC ONE+ recording my bike tracks. It is a very good app but elevation gain calculation seems to be totally wrong.

Starting at 100m and reaching the highest elevation at 520m with a very constant climbing rate Orux gives me an elevation gain and loss of both about 1300m.

Please tell me if it is a feature. If it is bug it would be great if it could be fixed.

Hello;

the GPS is not a good sensor to calculate altitudes.

solutions:

start the gps 2-5 minutes before starting the track. First gps fixes are usually very bad

use a device with barometer,

use DEM files to provide the altitude to the app

correct the altitude after the track using online services

orux

peter9999

Quote from: "orux"
Quote from: "roadrunner0815"Facing the same problem.

Hello;

the GPS is not a good sensor to calculate altitudes.

solutions:

start the gps 2-5 minutes before starting the track. First gps fixes are usually very bad

use a device with barometer,

use DEM files to provide the altitude to the app

correct the altitude after the track using online services

orux

The difference doesn´t occur only in the first phase of logging. And we don´t speak about errors in the calculations, but about big differencies. formerly I used motionx on iOS, a program not nearly good as orux, but elevation gains and losses were logged with a tolerance of about 10%, in this scale it would be ok!