Great app but GPS not very correct on my smartphone

Started by MrGap147, May 28, 2015, 11:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGap147

Hello all, I think OruxMaps is a great app to have! Lots of possibilities and options. I sam new and still have a lot to learn.

I do have a question and perhaps someone can help me with this item?

I have a screenshot but don't know how to upload it so you can see. I recorded a track, hiking in the forest, and it showed in the statistics that the route was 17.79km. But the route was only 14.8km???

When I zoom in on the track I see that the GPS is not very accurate. I don't walk straight, but walk from left to right and that created 3 extra kilometers with this route, which is a lot! My friend uses Runtastic and there it showed 14.9km which was very close to the real distance (14.8km).

Is there any way I can set the options so that the GPS positioning is much more accurate? Now my GPS sensors already are put on 00, 00 and 000 which is the best I think.

Can someone give me some tips how to improve the settings so that my route distance is more accurate? Or do I have to pay for better GPS fix?

orux

Quote from: "MrGap147"Hello all, I think OruxMaps is a great app to have! Lots of possibilities and options. I sam new and still have a lot to learn.

I do have a question and perhaps someone can help me with this item?

I have a screenshot but don't know how to upload it so you can see. I recorded a track, hiking in the forest, and it showed in the statistics that the route was 17.79km. But the route was only 14.8km???

When I zoom in on the track I see that the GPS is not very accurate. I don't walk straight, but walk from left to right and that created 3 extra kilometers with this route, which is a lot! My friend uses Runtastic and there it showed 14.9km which was very close to the real distance (14.8km).

Is there any way I can set the options so that the GPS positioning is much more accurate? Now my GPS sensors already are put on 00, 00 and 000 which is the best I think.

Can someone give me some tips how to improve the settings so that my route distance is more accurate? Or do I have to pay for better GPS fix?

Hi, thanks.

The accuracy does not depend on the app.

If the GPS of your device is a poor GPS, there is no solution.

But you can do:

1.-settings--sensors--gps--minimum time-> set this value to zero seconds. In this way the gps is always ON; this should improve the accuracy.

2.-settings--sensors--gps--minimum distance-> increase this value. In this way the zigzag of the track should be less.

orux

MrGap147

Quote from: "orux"

Hi, thanks.

But you can do:

1.-settings--sensors--gps--minimum time-> set this value to zero seconds. In this way the gps is always ON; this should improve the accuracy.

2.-settings--sensors--gps--minimum distance-> increase this value. In this way the zigzag of the track should be less.

orux

Thanks Orux!

When I put the minimum distance to 20 meters, the zigzag is much less in track.

vancori

I too often these problems with "zig zag track", and the consequence of having an ever-larger reality.

What are the optimal parameters for setting the GPS, to get a good precision track?:

Minimum time

Minimum distance

Accuracy GPS fix

Quote from: "MrGap147"
Quote from: "orux"

Hi, thanks.

But you can do:

orux

Thanks Orux!

When I put the minimum distance to 20 meters, the zigzag is much less in track.