Icons don't work in Google Earth

Started by tstreibl, February 10, 2020, 08:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstreibl

Hi,

I exported a track as .kml (and .kmz) and imported it in google earth afterwards. Works fine but waypoint icons are shown as red crosses. The waypoints have correct url's like e.g. "https://www.oruxmaps.com/iconos/wpts_flag_meta.png".  Putting in such a link in a web browser returns "access denied" which might be the reason for this problem? At least I thought .kmz would export the icon bitmaps as well... didn't work. Not a big deal because I can replace the icons in google earth - but those are less pretty :)

Other minor bug:  Recorded a multiple segments track under difficult gps conditions. Started recording a segment befor the gps location has been fixed properly. The automatically generated start (and/or end) waypoints are then all over the place and don't match with the track beginning/end. Seems like track points are only recorded after the gps signal is reliable, wheras the start/end waypoints are generated the moment I press start/stop recording. Looks very wired when you look at the track statistics diagram because there you can see the automatically generated waypoints as well. They might be in a zone where no track is recorded.... Additional observation: when gps position is lost for a couple of seconds during recording and recovers afterwards while you're moving you can see that the arrow showing the head of the recorded track keeps on movin on the correct position wheras the map positon center indicator (which should be identical to the actual position) stays still at a wrong position (where signal was lost before). As soon as the map starts scrolling the first time (takes a couple of seconds)  this is fixed automatically and the position indicator is matching with the head of the track again. 

V.7.5.8 GP on Galaxy S9

Great app! New beta looks phantastic. Thanks a lot for this great work. Will donate.

orux

Quote from: tstreibl on February 10, 2020, 08:52:44 PM
Hi,

I exported a track as .kml (and .kmz) and imported it in google earth afterwards. Works fine but waypoint icons are shown as red crosses. The waypoints have correct url's like e.g. "https://www.oruxmaps.com/iconos/wpts_flag_meta.png".  Putting in such a link in a web browser returns "access denied" which might be the reason for this problem? At least I thought .kmz would export the icon bitmaps as well... didn't work. Not a big deal because I can replace the icons in google earth - but those are less pretty :)

Other minor bug:  Recorded a multiple segments track under difficult gps conditions. Started recording a segment befor the gps location has been fixed properly. The automatically generated start (and/or end) waypoints are then all over the place and don't match with the track beginning/end. Seems like track points are only recorded after the gps signal is reliable, wheras the start/end waypoints are generated the moment I press start/stop recording. Looks very wired when you look at the track statistics diagram because there you can see the automatically generated waypoints as well. They might be in a zone where no track is recorded.... Additional observation: when gps position is lost for a couple of seconds during recording and recovers afterwards while you're moving you can see that the arrow showing the head of the recorded track keeps on movin on the correct position wheras the map positon center indicator (which should be identical to the actual position) stays still at a wrong position (where signal was lost before). As soon as the map starts scrolling the first time (takes a couple of seconds)  this is fixed automatically and the position indicator is matching with the head of the track again. 

V.7.5.8 GP on Galaxy S9

Great app! New beta looks phantastic. Thanks a lot for this great work. Will donate.
Thanks!
The problem with the icons should be corrected now.

I don't want to include the icons in the KMZ files because you will have a copy of them in all your KMZ files. It is a lot of memory waste.

The first/last waypoints should be added when the first/last Track points is recorded. If some location fixes are discarded because of their inaccuracy, the first/last waypoints should not be saved.

Maybe the problem in the graphics is with the point altitude?

If you export one of those Tracks and share it with me, I can investigate it.

The red icon indicates your current position. The red path line indicates the recorded Track points. Depending on your GPS settings, the GPS cursor could not match with the last recorded point.

orux

tstreibl

Hi Orux,

great - I think that will fix all issues. Thanks.

I can confirm that the googe earth icon problem is solved. Looks great.

Guess the graph problem and the position incicator bug are just further results from the same main cause.

However for clearificatin I uploaded the track, the graph and an example for the "position incicator" bug. The latter I generated afterwards for demonstration. You can see that the line from the "selector" is not drawn to the current position, which is clearly the red arror of the track recording I started. You can get this face result by simply starting to record indoors (which is a quit wired usecase...). It's not so important because after the map starts scrolling everything is fine again.

Best regards, Tilo

orux

Quote from: tstreibl on February 13, 2020, 12:29:16 AM
Hi Orux,

great - I think that will fix all issues. Thanks.

I can confirm that the googe earth icon problem is solved. Looks great.

Guess the graph problem and the position incicator bug are just further results from the same main cause.

However for clearificatin I uploaded the track, the graph and an example for the "position incicator" bug. The latter I generated afterwards for demonstration. You can see that the line from the "selector" is not drawn to the current position, which is clearly the red arror of the track recording I started. You can get this face result by simply starting to record indoors (which is a quit wired usecase...). It's not so important because after the map starts scrolling everything is fine again.

Best regards, Tilo
Thanks;
Maybe you can test the last beta version, that you can find in this forum.
There are a lot of changes, including the graphics libraries.

orux