Suggestion to improve Oruxmaps

Started by GBole, July 10, 2020, 12:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBole

Hello,
I hope you understand my google translate.
I have 2 questions - requests. I think that could significantly improve Oruxmaps.

1. The tracked ROUTES should disappear when the map is moved by pressing the finger on the display.
This track / ROUTES covers the map and no details are visible that may be useful

2. It is necessary to make a button to turn on and off the constant brightness of the screen (Screen always ON - Screen not switched off in Track logging Mode) which would be located on the BUTONS BAR.
This is necessary to easily access this command at times when the environment changes quickly (when the track / ROUTES is monitored on a bicycle) and to turn it off without the need to stop movement (on a bicycle) and to save the battery on the device.

Thanks, all praise for the app

LaurentG

+1 to have a button "Screen always ON"

matt

@LaurentG and @GBole: i don't understand why you need or want a  button "Screen always ON".

But I do understand that you want easily switch from "display on" to "display off" and vice versa, e.g. to  save battery.
In general i have "settings->Application->Screen always ON" activated. I never change that.
When i am in track logging mode, and don't need the map visible & want to save battery, i simply press shortly the phones power-on/off button. Another short press on the power-on/off button turns on my Orux screen again.
And the phones power-on/off button is easier to touch in certain conditions on a bike,  than a "soft-button" on the screen.

Matt

LaurentG

Quote from: matt on July 10, 2020, 08:07:49 PM
@LaurentG : i don't understand why you need or want a  button "Screen always ON".

I'm using OruxMaps not only when hiking, but also when travelling in car.
And in such conditions, I don't need, and then do not activate track logging, so the option "settings->Application->Screen always ON" do not change anything.
Moreover, when I am in car, smartphone is continuously charging, so no issue with battery consumption.

Currently the unique solution consists for me in going into android parameters and set the option of display to the longest possible value (10 minutes in android 7 reviewed by Samsung), which is feasible, but
- a lot less easy than a simple button on OruxMaps
- and do not provide "always on" but only "less frequently off"....

In my specific case, an alternative to this button would be to have a global option (in "settings/application") allowing to have "always ON if smartphone is in charge".
But if this would be convenient in my case, I guess it wouldn't be the case for those who ask for an "always ON" when biking, and the ability to easily switch on/off this "Always ON"....

nurembergueso

Quote from: LaurentG on July 11, 2020, 09:13:05 AM
@LaurentG : i don't understand why you need or want a  button "Screen always ON".

I'm using OruxMaps not only when hiking, but also when travelling in car.
And in such conditions, I don't need, and then do not activate track logging, so the option "settings->Application->Screen always ON" do not change anything.
Moreover, when I am in car, smartphone is continuously charging, so no issue with battery consumption.

Currently the unique solution consists for me in going into android parameters and set the option of display to the longest possible value (10 minutes in android 7 reviewed by Samsung), which is feasible, but
- a lot less easy than a simple button on OruxMaps
- and do not provide "always on" but only "less frequently off"....

What about tracking your car ride - even you won't need the track and you would have to delete it manually afterwards - with the settings "Screen always ON" + "Display brightness > BRIGHT WAKE LOCK"? This might solve your issue without toggling system settings.

nurembergueso

In general i have "settings->Application->Screen always ON" activated. I never change that.
When i am in track logging mode, and don't need the map visible & want to save battery, i simply press shortly the phones power-on/off button. Another short press on the power-on/off button turns on my Orux screen again.
And the phones power-on/off button is easier to touch in certain conditions on a bike,  than a "soft-button" on the screen.

I totally agree. The way I do it, too. Plus "Display brightness > DIM WAKE LOCK" for saving battery and especially situations when frequent actions are expired. A simple touch on the map and the screen gets bright again. So why a hard to find button on the bar?

LaurentG

I fully disagree with your proposal, because I DO NOT WANT to have "Always ON when tracking" selected permanently : and this because I'm using tracking mainly when I'm hiking.... so with phone not plugged on power.
If I agree it wouldn't be an issue to activate tracking when car riding, this wouldn't solve the issue if "Always ON" is not selected, and it won't be....

To sum up, to be able to have a button "Display always ON" (whatever tracking is on or not, whatever anything else) is surely not the most important feature OruxMaps may have, but since I guess it wouldn't be very difficult to implement (and provided it's the case), it would be an appreciable and useful "plus".