Android SMS and Contacts permissions. App ver without those?

Started by Zitadel, May 17, 2016, 09:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zitadel

Hi,

The latest Oruxmaps 6.x version supports couple new features which require additional Android permissions like "send SMS messages" and "read existing contacts". I understand features behind these permissions and I'm sure many users find them useful. However, I have an Android 4.4.x phone with company installed security app. It keeps complaining that "OruxMaps app needs potentially dangerous permissions. It could send SMS messages causing costs blah blah blah".

Also, without such security app I think that there are many users who are reluctant to install applications which has permissions to send SMS messages or make phone calls on their own (and this way potentially causing costs without user knowing it until it is too late) or read all information from all contacts (phone numbers, names, emails, addresses etc).

The latest Android 6.x supports "permission revokation" feature where user can prevent an application using certain features based on permission capabilities. Cool, but most Android phone/tables are still running in Android 4.4.x or Android 5.x version and it remains so many years.

Now to the actual question. Is it possible to create stripped down version (compiling from the same source but these features conditionally left out) of the same latest version where SOS message and "share routes with contacts" features are removed and this way those potentially nasty permissions removed? This would be great until we all have Android 6.x phones/tables (not gonna happen in years).

Thanks for great app anyway.

orux

Quote from: "Zitadel"Hi,

The latest Oruxmaps 6.x version supports couple new features which require additional Android permissions like "send SMS messages" and "read existing contacts". I understand features behind these permissions and I'm sure many users find them useful. However, I have an Android 4.4.x phone with company installed security app. It keeps complaining that "OruxMaps app needs potentially dangerous permissions. It could send SMS messages causing costs blah blah blah".

Also, without such security app I think that there are many users who are reluctant to install applications which has permissions to send SMS messages or make phone calls on their own (and this way potentially causing costs without user knowing it until it is too late) or read all information from all contacts (phone numbers, names, emails, addresses etc).

The latest Android 6.x supports "permission revokation" feature where user can prevent an application using certain features based on permission capabilities. Cool, but most Android phone/tables are still running in Android 4.4.x or Android 5.x version and it remains so many years.

Now to the actual question. Is it possible to create stripped down version (compiling from the same source but these features conditionally left out) of the same latest version where SOS message and "share routes with contacts" features are removed and this way those potentially nasty permissions removed? This would be great until we all have Android 6.x phones/tables (not gonna happen in years).

Thanks for great app anyway.

Hello;

Sorry, It is very difficult to keep as many versions of the application.

I know that the app is safe; if those functions are not used, it can not produce spending.

I know that there are users who do not trust the apps that use these permissions.

Actually, in my current situation, I prefer thousands of convinced users, than millions of users :)

But I didn't know about the restrictions that you talk about (security apps). I will try to keep a limited version in the web without those permissions.

orux

gecoma

Hi, I am also waiting for the version not requiring these extra permission. Update postponed until then.

regards,

Gerhard

nurembergueso

@Zitadel , @gecoma

I think the scepticism about these permissions is arbitrary. Orux provides transparent explanations for what and why the permissions are necessary in contrast to many other apps.

If you want to share tracks, especially for multi-tracking the app must be able to read contacts. If you want to launch an emergency call the app must be able to send a SMS to a phone number, that you set by your own in app settings btw. But if you don't want to use these features nothing will happen at all.

If your fears against spying are serious you should uninstall all Google apps instead, which do these things unquestioned all the time.  :mrgreen:

Imho so-called "security apps" warning against threats they cannot solve by themselves are rather worthless. A very good tool to really control app permissions in Android 4 and 5 is XPrivacy a XPosed module, that however requires a rooted device.  

Regards

Claus