New 6.5.Xbeta version

Started by orux, May 23, 2016, 07:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nurembergueso

As translator for the German interface I tried one of the last release candidates and was astounded. Despite the changelog announcement of a great design change the app is looking like ever. The menu bar is activated by default, not the new navigation drawer as I'd have expected. A bit half-hearted, isn't it?

Though this is a basic setting how the user wants to control the app, you have to go to ,,Miscellaneous UI" - what sounds like "Gimmicks, nobody really needs" - the last(!) point in UI menu to change it. In the submenu it isn't placed at first position but anywhere after "Full screen mode", "Hide status bar" and other stuff, what is far from logical imho.

In general I have to criticize that despite a major update there were unfortunately again no efforts to revise the menu structure. OM possesses very extensive and nested settings, especially beginners struggle with. Some additional notes to "where do I find what" just in main menu or grouping of the submenus could have been a great help for them and improve users' experience.

Probably next time?!

6745th@web.de

Though this is a basic setting how the user wants to control the app, you have to go to ,,Miscellaneous UI" - what sounds like "Gimmicks, nobody really needs" - the last(!) point in UI menu to change it.

Good Point.

Maybe it would be good,  if the program asks when first time started after upgrade/installation:

"Should I start in classic Mode?"

"or in new the style mode?"

orux

Quote from: "nurembergueso"As translator for the German interface I tried one of the last release candidates and was astounded. Despite the changelog announcement of a great design change the app is looking like ever. The menu bar is activated by default, not the new navigation drawer as I'd have expected. A bit half-hearted, isn't it?

Though this is a basic setting how the user wants to control the app, you have to go to ,,Miscellaneous UI" - what sounds like "Gimmicks, nobody really needs" - the last(!) point in UI menu to change it. In the submenu it isn't placed at first position but anywhere after "Full screen mode", "Hide status bar" and other stuff, what is far from logical imho.

In general I have to criticize that despite a major update there were unfortunately again no efforts to revise the menu structure. OM possesses very extensive and nested settings, especially beginners struggle with. Some additional notes to "where do I find what" just in main menu or grouping of the submenus could have been a great help for them and improve users' experience.

Probably next time?!

In fact all the UI is new, it not relies on external libraries.

I have not yet decided if the new nav-drawer will be visible by default. I have many contradictory messages from both new and old users. Maybe, I keep it hidden in the first release ;)

Meanwhile I am preparing a wizard to configure the main aspects of the UI in a simple way. It will be the first option within the interface configuration, and will be present after first installation/update. It will at least pass through these steps (sorry, not translated yet): http://oruxmaps.com/cs/en/more/tutos">//http://oruxmaps.com/cs/en/more/tutos

orux

nurembergueso

Quote from: "6745th@web.de"Maybe it would be good,  if the program asks when first time started after upgrade/installation:

"Should I start in classic Mode?"

"or in new the style mode?"

Good suggestion!

Another small point:

As it isn't possible two use nav drawer and action bar at the same time, the setting "Transparent action bar" doesn't make sense in nav drawer mode and should be greyed out when this is chosen.

nurembergueso

Quote from: "orux"
Meanwhile I am preparing a wizard to configure the main aspects of the UI in a simple way. It will be the first option within the interface configuration, and will be present after first installation/update. It will at least pass through these steps (sorry, not translated yet): http://oruxmaps.com/cs/en/more/tutos">//http://oruxmaps.com/cs/en/more/tutos

orux

Sounds and looks very promising  :)

dkxce

Hello everyone. If OruxMaps lost connection with AIS server, my Android set sound mode to on, even if current mode is silent or vibro, and plays alarm sound. It is not good and will be better if that event can be set in options.

orux

Quote from: "dkxce"Hello everyone. If OruxMaps lost connection with AIS server, my Android set sound mode to on, even if current mode is silent or vibro, and plays alarm sound. It is not good and will be better if that event can be set in options.

Hi,

you are right;

You can test the last version, it should not make sounds in silent/vibrate android mode.

orux

6745th@web.de

Hi Orux,

The bug (TC-1) of RC4 is solved. :-)

After starting of the first version with the wizzard,

The wizard opens 1sec, than the window with News comes up. Than the window with the hint about the zoom bug, than the donation window.

After closing the last window I see the wizzard which closing seconds later.

I reopen the wizard from the settings. Step two is confusing. I can check every combination of the checkboxes. Shouldn't that be radio buttons?

Interesting to see how you're app becomes better and vetter...

dkxce

Quote from: "dkxce"Hello everyone. If OruxMaps lost connection with AIS server, my Android set sound mode to on, even if current mode is silent or vibro, and plays alarm sound. It is not good and will be better if that event can be set in options.

Hi,

you are right;

You can test the last version, it should not make sounds in silent/vibrate android mode.

orux

Thanx, Orux, now it's good)

It would be great to start automatically sending reports to GPSGate server when start route recording, by analogy with MapMyTracks configuration. Because there is no information about speed and heading in MapMyTracks tracking reports.

orux

Quote from: "6745th@web.de"Hi Orux,

The bug (TC-1) of RC4 is solved. :-)

The wizard opens 1sec, than the window with News comes up. Than the window with the hint about the zoom bug, than the donation window.

I reopen the wizard from the settings. Step two is confusing. I can check every combination of the checkboxes. Shouldn't that be radio buttons?

Interesting to see how you're app becomes better and vetter...

Thanks; I will check the order the messages appear.

Step two; they must be checkboxes, because you can use both (all unchecked). But there is a bug, both can not be checked simultaneous.

orux

Maki

I have not yet decided if the new nav-drawer will be visible by default. I have many contradictory messages from both new and old users. Maybe, I keep it hidden in the first release ;)

IMHO that's because you are using menus and drawer as alternatives when they really should be complementary: having the same thing in different places is just confusing and cluttering on a small device. I know I've already said that, but that's how Material design has been conceived. In any case I don't see the problem in having the drawer on, unless the app runs faster disabling it. Nobody is forced to use it if they don't like/need it. Personally I'd just remove the preference and leave everything always on.

Anyway the wizard is a good idea, it just looks a bit rough. For example in the first screen there should be a gap between the three  screenshots, and rather than a menu, just let the user tap on the desired look (put the name below each screenshot).

In the second screen for a first time user that hasn't already been exposed to the navigation drawer it's though to make a choice since he doesn't know what you are talking about and the screen shots aren't obvious. If you really have to let the user choose it would be better to have only one screenshot that gets updated according to the user choices with the checkboxes showing exactly what he's gonna have.

In the last screen I think the concept of "new" dashboard should be ditched. Let's just call it "bigger" and be done with that. Also please add a "Done" button, it's not obvious to tap the back arrow to finish a wizard.

Quote from: "6745th@web.de"

+1111

Really, all those windows should appear one after the other, only when the user dismisses the previous one. It's a long standing issue.

6745th@web.de

Quote from: "Maki"

just let the user tap on the desired look (put the name below each screenshot).

+1

QuoteIf you really have to let the user choose it would be better to have only one screenshot that gets updated according to the user choices with the checkboxes showing exactly what he's gonna have.

+1

Maybe create 3 screenshots, for each combination.

Then just display the one which fits.

QuoteAlso please add a "Done" button, it's not obvious to tap the back arrow to finish a wizard.

+1

msev

Orux are there any improvements for android wear planned?

6745th@web.de

Double post

6745th@web.de

Triple [emoji61]