Support for Tempo Disc 4 in 1

Started by dm413-om, February 10, 2021, 06:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dm413-om

I am considering getting a Tempo Disc 4 in 1 bluetooth thermometer, hygrometer, and pressure sensor.

- Does oruxmaps support this device?
- Is the temperature logged in the gpx file?
- Is the barometer used to generate the altitude?

Thanks,
Dan

dm413-om

Unfortunately, my testing shows oruxmaps doesn't seem to work with the Tempo Disc 4-in-1 device.

I tested with both the free version (7.4.23) and the google play version (8.1.6). In both cases you can go to Global Settings > Sensors > Tempo Disc Sensor. Then click on Tempo Disc Sensor. It shows bluetooth devices including the Tempo Disc sensor. Select the device and you should be good to go.

But I can't see the sensor values anywhere. The trip computer has multiple entries for temperature, barometer, and relative humidity, but none of them show any data. The temperature does not get logged into the exported gpx file. As far as I can tell the barometer is not used for generating an improved altitude (elevation).

The device is working correctly with the Tempo Plus 2 app (from the manufacturer Blue Maestro), so I know the data is being transmitted.

If anyone knows of any way to get this working, please let me know.

Josean

Follow the path: Global Settings / Visuals / Dashboard / Dashboard Items.  Select the parameters you want to view.

To use the barometer for altitude you have to activate it in the GPS settings.

dm413-om

The dashboard is like the trip computer. You can select various temperatures (temp, ant+ temp, BT temp) but none of them show a value. Similarly you can select a couple of different relative humidity values, or pressure, but none of them show a value. They all show dashes ("---").

In settings > sensors > GPS, the option for "Barometer for elevation" is grayed and cannot be checked.

Barbances

Barbances

También cuando lo compre tenia otro precio, creo que 45 euros, ahora creo que por el brexit esta muy caro. Pero esta que muy bien.

dm413-om

Barbances, glad you got it working! Can you give us more information about how you got it working?
- What version of oruxmaps are you using?
- How did you configure it? What steps did you have to do?
- Do you see temperature, humidity, and/or pressure in the trip computer or dashboard? Which specific entries contain the TD data?
- Is the pressure being used for elevation?
Thanks,

dm413-om

I should also mention that I found the GPXAnalyzer application, an open source app at https://github.com/dmcclimans/GPXAnalyzer. It's not integrated into oruxmaps, but instead uses a separate "post processing" step. It can merge data collected by the Tempo Plus app (the phone app from the maker of the Tempo Disc) into a GPX file (from oruxmaps or any other GPS device). It will adjust the elevations based on the barometric pressure data, and it will add the temperature data to the GPX file. It has worked well for me.

Barbances

Quote from: dm413-om on May 07, 2021, 03:44:06 PM
I should also mention that I found the GPXAnalyzer application, an open source app at https://github.com/dmcclimans/GPXAnalyzer. It's not integrated into oruxmaps, but instead uses a separate "post processing" step. It can merge data collected by the Tempo Plus app (the phone app from the maker of the Tempo Disc) into a GPX file (from oruxmaps or any other GPS device). It will adjust the elevations based on the barometric pressure data, and it will add the temperature data to the GPX file. It has worked well for me.
.Busca aquí;
https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=29156.msg39351#msg39351

Barbances

Quote from: dm413-om on February 20, 2021, 06:13:36 PM
Unfortunately, my testing shows oruxmaps doesn't seem to work with the Tempo Disc 4-in-1 device.

I tested with both the free version (7.4.23) and the google play version (8.1.6). In both cases you can go to Global Settings > Sensors > Tempo Disc Sensor. Then click on Tempo Disc Sensor. It shows bluetooth devices including the Tempo Disc sensor. Select the device and you should be good to go.

But I can't see the sensor values anywhere. The trip computer has multiple entries for temperature, barometer, and relative humidity, but none of them show any data. The temperature does not get logged into the exported gpx file. As far as I can tell the barometer is not used for generating an improved altitude (elevation).

The device is working correctly with the Tempo Plus 2 app (from the manufacturer Blue Maestro), so I know the data is being transmitted.

If anyone knows of any way to get this working, please let me know.
En computadora de viaje puedes cambiar iconos, pon temperatura con Bluetooth, ybarómetro con Bluetooth para higometro no tiene

Barbances

Quote from: dm413-om on February 10, 2021, 06:41:47 PM
I am considering getting a Tempo Disc 4 in 1 bluetooth thermometer, hygrometer, and pressure sensor.

- Does oruxmaps support this device?
- Is the temperature logged in the gpx file?
- Is the barometer used to generate the altitude?

Thanks,
Dan
Si tienes dudas entra en este grupo y pregunta: https://t.me/OruxMapsGPS

dm413-om

I'm glad you got it working but it doesn't work for me. Could you please share how you got it working.
- What version of oruxmaps are you using? Are you using a beta version?
- Exactly which entries in the dashboard/trip computer contain the TD data? (There are multiple options for temperature, humidity, etc.)

Barbances

Quote from: dm413-om on May 08, 2021, 05:00:13 PM
I'm glad you got it working but it doesn't work for me. Could you please share how you got it working.
- What version of oruxmaps are you using? Are you using a beta version?
- Exactly which entries in the dashboard/trip computer contain the TD data? (There are multiple options for temperature, humidity, etc.)
Entra en este grupo de telegram sobre Oruxmaps y te hago un vídeo con la explicación. Allí haz la pregunta para poder identificarte:

https://t.me/OruxMapsGPS

dm413-om

I am disappointed that you are not willing to share this information in a public forum. Not even the version number of the software and whether you are running a beta version.

I do not speak Spanish, and have relied on google translate to read your posts. A video, presumably in Spanish, is unlikely to be useful to me. Installing telegram and creating a telegram account in order to post and read on some non-official forum, probably in Spanish, seems like a lot of effort for minimal gain.

dm413-om

Here is a brief summary of where I think things stand. This is based on this thread, the thread in topic 29156 (using google translate to translate from the original Spanish), and my own experience.

OruxMaps originally supported the 2-sensor (temperature and humidity but not pressure) version of the Tempo Disc device. In early 2020 the author worked on the 3-sensor version of the device, and may have had it working in beta versions of OruxMaps.

There is no indication that this support has made it into the regular (non-beta) version, but I don't really know. It doesn't work for me.

There is also no indication that the pressure is being used for elevation.

Having used the Tempo Disc device (the 3 sensor version) for a while now, my own opinion is that integrating the temperature, humidity, and pressure into the dashboard and trip computer is an overrated feature. This provides no information that you cannot get from the Tempo Plus app. You will want to have the Tempo Plus app installed on your phone anyway, as it gives you the ability to configure the device (change the logging sample rate), download logged data as CSV files, etc. If you want to see the current values it is as easy to switch to the Tempo Plus app as it is to pull up the dashboard or trip computer in OruxMaps.

The temperature data from the sensor is not accurate if you are hiking or biking or doing other outdoor activities. If you carry the device in your pocket, it is affected by your body temperature. If you carry it in a backpack, the sun will heat up your pack and give you inaccurate measurements. On overcast days and at night it does well, but with any sun it reads very high. This is not unique to the Tempo Disc devices, all temperature sensors have this problem. Ideally you would suspend the sensor in a place where it is shaded from the sun but gets plenty of air circulation. That is hard to do if you are hiking or biking.

For me, the real advantage of integrating this device with OruxMaps would be if it was used for elevation data. I have used the GPXAnalyzer program to do this, and the resulting elevation profile is significantly better than raw GPS elevations, and the resulting calculation of CEG (Cumulative Elevation Gain) is much improved.

I have changed the Tempo Disc sample rate to every 10 seconds, and that works well for hiking. That is about the best you can do with the Tempo Disc device -- you might be able to get it to work at 6 or 7 second intervals, but I know it cannot keep up with a 5 second sample interval. The minimum sample period "spec" is 1 minute, the Blue Maestro support people have told me they have used 20 seconds, but my own testing shows 10 second intervals works fine. At this sample rate the battery life is drastically reduced, about 1 month of continuous use instead of 1 year. But I turn the device off when I am not using it and that solves the battery life problem.