[5.5.11] Two newbie questions about simplifying the UI; Maps

Started by Winfried, October 23, 2013, 05:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winfried

Hello

I started using OruxMaps on my Android phone to import GPX routes and follow them while riding a bike.

I have a couple of questions about simplifying the User Interface and maps:
[list=]
    • Is it possible to hide the banners at the top and the bottom to save screen real estate?
    • Is it possible to make the line smaller, so I can see the street names?
    • Before leaving for a trip with no Internet access, how can I make sure the maps for an area have been downloaded in the phone?
    [/list]

Thank you.

• orux

Quote from: "Winfried"Hello

I started using OruxMaps on my Android phone to import GPX routes and follow them while riding a bike.

I have a couple of questions about simplifying the User Interface and maps:
    [list=]
    • Is it possible to hide the banners at the top and the bottom to save screen real estate?
    • Is it possible to make the line smaller, so I can see the street names?
    • Before leaving for a trip with no Internet access, how can I make sure the maps for an area have been downloaded in the phone?
    [/list]

Thank you.

• You can hide top button bar (but not status bar) in settings--user interface--buttons

You can hide dashboard in settings--user interface--dashboard

You can change route size/path in settings--user interface--strokes

You can turn off your data connection, and check the cached map, or you can create an offline map

All info in the manual-->oruxmaps.com

orux

Winfried

Thanks for the help. The track width is actually in Settings > UI > Tracks; The UI > Strokes sub-menu is gone.

1. Is there an easy way to tell OruxMaps to download the full maps (ie. up to zoom 18) of a region in one go? Currently, I have to zoom in and out of a region along the route, and disable the data connection to check that al lthe maps have been downloaded.

2. I have another question: I draw routes + POIs using RideWithGPS (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3404715">sample), but it seems to only export routes in a GPX file, so I'm missing POIs when using OruxMaps. Does someone know of RwGPS is just unable to export both route + POI, and if that's the case, is there a good alternative you would recommend to work on a trip?

Thank you.

fabrylama

Quote from: "Winfried"
    • Before leaving for a trip with no Internet access, how can I make sure the maps for an area have been

Hi, you could use offline maps, on openandromaps.org there are offline maps (based on opensteetmaps data) for almost every country.

Be sure to follow the instruction from the "manual" page of openandromaps site.

fabrylama

Quote from: "Winfried"
    • Before leaving for a trip with no Internet access, how can I make sure the maps for an area have been

Hi, you could use offline maps, on openandromaps.org there are offline maps (based on opensteetmaps data) for almost every country.

Be sure to follow the instruction from the "manual" page of openandromaps site.

febs

Quote from: "orux"
    You can hide top button bar (but not status bar) in settings--user interface--buttons

You can turn off your data connection, and check the cached map, or you can create an offline map

orux

Even better:

you can have multiple profiles with different layout settings.

For instance, I have a layout I use when I ride my bike, and a different one for when I am hiking.

You get there by tapping menu -> profiles.

Enjoy!

febs

Quote from: "orux"
    You can hide top button bar (but not status bar) in settings--user interface--buttons

orux

Even better:

you can have multiple profiles with different layout settings.

For instance, I have a layout I use when I ride my bike, and a different one for when I am hiking.

You get there by tapping menu -> profiles.

Enjoy!

febs

You can also use multiple profiles with different graphical settings according to what you are doing!

For instance, I use a profile for bycicling and a different one for hiking, where I have different button sizes, and different auto-hide settings for the interface elements.

You access profiles by tapping menu->profiles.

By the way, despite everything is documented in the manual, the truth is that in real life mostly nobody read the FINE manuals. I seldomly do, as well (sorry about that :oops: ).

My opinion is, that whenever a new feature is introduced, a video should be made to demostrate it.

Something like, an OruxMaps Youtube channel should exist in my opinion, with a video added for each new feature (and for the most important already developed ones).

I am perfectly aware that this is a lot of work and would take a lot of time (perhaps less than writing a manual?), by the way. Orux, if you are going to make such a channel I can volounteer for some videos. What do you think about it?

febs

Sorry for the multiple post; I was not used to OruxMaps forum being moderated and I posted over and over thinking that something went wrong while posting the frist(s) time(s).

Winfried

Thanks everyone for the feedback.