GPS altitude and correction

Started by andreaorux, November 13, 2016, 07:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andreaorux

Dear all,

I'm quite a new user of oruxmaps and I like it very much.

I have a question regarding altitude calculating and logging into gpx file.

After I've finished my trace I've taken a look of the statistics:

maximum altitude is 1703 m.

I know that the height of that mountain (Monte Genereso between Switzerland and Italy) is 1701 m so I were very satisfy.

Also the altitude diagram was satisfactory.

But if I look in the gpx file by the PC, maximum altitude is 1740 m.

Moreover, if I use online tool like GPS Visualizer I get an altitude of that point of 1664 m.

My question is: why the altitudes displayed in the app is different from the altitude in the gpx file?

PS

I have the NMEA altitude correction set to on.

Thank you in advance for the answer.

Best Regards

Andrea

Vicente Bisquert

Hola andreaorux.

Te recomiendo descargues la app DEM1, con ella conseguirás los dem  en malla 30 metros de la zona que te interese.

Colocas los dem en el Oruxmaps, y le dices a Oruxmaps que las alturas las coja de los dem en vez del gps.

Así tendrás las alturas más fiables.

Saludos.

andreaorux

Thank you Vicente for the answer,

actually I'm satisfied of the precision of the altitude when I look my trace in the app.

I haven't installed any DEM file, but I will try in order to improve it.

What I don't understand is which datas the app is using, because if I export the trace in .gpx in order to see my trace on the PC, the datas are different.

How can I export the altitude datas visualized in the app to the .gpx file?

carioco

Yo he usado dem, barómetro en un Samsung s5 y finalmente me quedo con el gps del mismo samsung s5 es curioso, los dos primeros deberían dar mejor resultado pero comparando con rutas se garmin del mismo día obtengo mejores resultados con el gps a pelo.

Es más, resulta que últimamente mis acumulados suelen ser más bajos que los optenidos por garmin en rutas iguales. Hasta la fecha compañeros de garmin solían decir que con orux media muy mal el acumulado, pero al alta, ahora resulta que es al revés.  Además cuando subo las rutas a strava me suele bajar aun más el acumulado.

La verdad, llevo tiempo investigando para averiguar cómo calcula el acumulado cada sistema (strava, garmin, orux) para saber cual es realmente el dato real.

Obviamente garmin al tener más usuarios y resultados parecidos suelen barrer para casa y dan por hecho que sus cal culos son los mejores, pero yo personalmente tengo mis dudas al respecto. Cualquier movil de aquí a dos años para atrás lleva gps muy precisos y creo que lo único que varía los resultados son los sistemas para calcular el acumulado.