onlinemapsources.xml does not work?

Started by pedja, December 17, 2021, 09:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedja

I edited onlinemapsources.xml but OruxMaps does not show changes, like I did nothing.

I tried using onlinemapsources.xml in oruxmaps/mapfiles and oruxmaps/mapfiles/customonlinemaps but it works in neither case.

When I add wms map using + option in OnlineMaps within Oruxmaps, map works but it does not show in onlinemapsources.xml.

I use OruxMaps v.7.4.24

Lenz

Hello pedja,
the settings for the wms maps are not saved in onlinemapsources.xml. I guess they are saved in a database (but you can export them in more recent versions than 7.4.24).

Where are your maps located - on the internal storage or on a SD card?
After migrating Oruxmaps data to my SD card I had two onlinemapsources.xml - one in the internal storage, one on my SD card. In my case Oruxmaps ignores the SD card version and only uses the onlinemapsources.xml on the internal storage.

pedja

I have it all on internal storage.

If I understand properly, onlinemapsources.xml functionality is removed?

I noticed that it seems Oruxmaps is switched to forcing payment. More and more options are removed from free version.

Lenz

Hello pedja,
as far as I know, nothing is removed from the free version. The onlinemapsources.xml still works on my phone with Oruxmaps 7.4.24.
If I remember correctly, Orux wrote a few sentences about the time intensive development of this great app not too long ago. I think the little money you have to pay for the GP or the Amazon version is more than justified. Not or slowly developing the free version is an understandable consequence.

Two more thoughts on your problem:
- Did you refresh the online maps list after editing onlinemapsources.xml?
- Is your new entry in onlinemapsources.xml correct? Can you post it?

afgb1977

Quote from: pedja on December 21, 2021, 10:37:39 AM
I have it all on internal storage.

If I understand properly, onlinemapsources.xml functionality is removed?

I noticed that it seems Oruxmaps is switched to forcing payment. More and more options are removed from free version.

The statement regarding "OruxMaps has changed to force payment" is quite unfair.
After reinstalling version 7.4.24 and testing (a long time ago time I did not use it). I found =
1. V_7.4.24 works perfectly with my onlinemapsources.xml files, both the mapfiles file and the customonlimemaps file.
2. V_7.4.24 it works fine with my wms_services.xml file.
3. V_7.4.24 works fine with my MapsForge and Garmin .img.

From the above I deduce that your statements are unfounded and I believe that =

1. Despite having the onlinemapsource.xml file in mapfiles or customonlimemaps you have wrongly configured the route to the online maps.
2. You modified some parameter of the onlinemapsources.xml file that prevents it from displaying correctly. You  could have deleted some of the characters or added some character that makes it impossible for OruxMaps read the file.
3. You have incorrectly named the onlinemapsources.xml file, the file name or file extension.

I would recommend a thorough review of both the files and the routes to the online maps.

Felipe

pedja

Quote from: Lenz on December 21, 2021, 05:47:41 PM
as far as I know, nothing is removed from the free version.

I noticed several functionalities that are removed with updates of 7.* branch.

If I remember correctly, Orux wrote a few sentences about the time intensive development of this great app not too long ago. I think the little money you have to pay for the GP or the Amazon version is more than justified. Not or slowly developing the free version is an understandable consequence.

I am not against paying, especially donations. But model it is going on is obviously not donationware any more. This is now commercial product but it is called donationware just to avoid any responsibility which goes with selling product.

- Did you refresh the online maps list after editing onlinemapsources.xml?

Of course.

- Is your new entry in onlinemapsources.xml correct?

Map entry is ok. AS I said, when I add wms map using + option in OnlineMaps within Oruxmaps, it works.

I have to do a correction. I wrongly specified onlinemapsources.xml file. It is actually wms_services.xml that does not work.

Lenz

Quote from: pedja on January 01, 2022, 02:24:11 AM
I noticed several functionalities that are removed with updates of 7.* branch.
First of all, I noticed continuous development in both the paid and the free version and the addition of new features for many years.
From my point of view the different treatment of wms maps is not a loss of a functionality as you still can add wms maps in the latest free version via the + in the list of the online maps. Moreover I don't think that this is a such a relevant limitation "to forcing payment". Which are the "several functionalities that are removed"? But: that's just my point of view.

I am not against paying, especially donations. But model it is going on is obviously not donationware any more. This is now commercial product but it is called donationware just to avoid any responsibility which goes with selling product.
I for one don't care if you (or Orux) name(s) it donation ware or commercial product. The app is great, Orux fixes most bugs within a few days and offers support free of charge in this forum.
If you don't agree to the new "model", you can still use version 7.4.24 which is completely free - and this is more than fair from Orux.

Map entry is ok. AS I said, when I add wms map using + option in OnlineMaps within Oruxmaps, it works.
I have to do a correction. I wrongly specified onlinemapsources.xml file. It is actually wms_services.xml that does not work.
In your first post you wrote you "edited onlinemapsources.xml" and so I thought you did it in a text editor. This is why I asked if the entry is correct. Mistakes happen so quickly as you prove in your last sentence ;)