HowTo: OruxMaps and Android 11+ on phones without an SD card

Started by NuevoMexicoUSA, September 19, 2022, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NuevoMexicoUSA

Before Android 10: Easy access with FolderSync, X-plore, etc.

Android 11: Access to new path like this is blocked:

"Routes, tracks directory: Where the routes and tracks are stored: (/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/ com.orux.oruxmaps Donate/files/ oruxmaps/tracklogs/)

Solution: I installed an SD card on my phone

Android 12: Internal storage access is now totally blocked with the latest security updates.

And I got a new phone with no SD card: these are disappearing from phones rapidly.

Note: You can always access the phone storage through a USB cable, e.g. to load very large mapfiles.

The path will look something like this:

This PC\Pixel 6a\Internal shared storage\Android\data\com.orux.oruxmapsDonate\files\oruxmaps\mapfiles

For more convenient access, such as for uploading tracks, you have to use a Cloud option:

. Orux site: I have never been able to get this to work

. Strava: I use the app and a free account to track maintenance. Can tracks be downloaded?

. MapMyTracks: can't download tracks from this site?

. GpsGate: fleet tracking?

Fortunately, Google Drive Backups works well...

Settings->Integration: "How this works: The app copies your Tracks database and the files inside your tracks folder to a folder in selected Drive account. By the moment only Tracks are copied, not maps or other resources. You can restore those files if you lose your Tracks.

If you press "Force a backup" you should get an alert from Android (assuming Orux has alert permissions) like this: "OruxMaps: Drive backup successful"

* It may take a few tries and restarting Orux

Tracks will begin to appear in: "My Drive > oruxmaps_bk"

* No choice of folder name or location, but it works!

How to install resources?

"Settings > App storage" > "Select the type of resource..." and the dropdown includes Maps, Routes, Overlays, etc. Google Drive can be accessed. This will of course use wifi or mobile.

How to install Mapsforge styles?

https://www.openandromaps.org/en/legend/elevate-mountain-hike-theme

Elevate, "Quick install in Android", restarted Orux, works!

How to install preferences?

There does not seem to be any way except copying through USB to a path that looks something like this:

This PC\Pixel 6a\Internal shared storage\Android\data\com.orux.oruxmapsDonate\files\oruxmaps

NuevoMexicoUSA

"Force a backup" over mobile

Android GDrive "Activity" for oruxmaps_tracks_bk folder showed that I uploaded two files: the Orux database and a new KML for the ride.

But these new files did not show up in the folder until some time later.

An odd behavior having to do with streaming of files? My mobile was temporarily slow so that may have caused the issue.