Map creator: This map is not downloadable due to their owners limitations

Started by owmapper, October 13, 2022, 05:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owmapper

Translated:
Quote from: Tronpo on November 02, 2022, 02:46:49 PM
Hello!! Try this trick, it's very simple.
Make an OSM mapnik composite map with any other map.
Use 0SM mapnik as zoom 5 to 20 basemap and the other map as zoom 0 to 5 layer.

Then you can use the map creator to download this composite, obviously you have to choose the download of the zooms from 5 to 20, which are the ones that the OSM mapnik map occupies.
Thanks @Tronpo, but it doesn't sound simple to me! I don't know how to make a mapnik composite map - it sounds like I have to download tiles from mapnik and I can't do that.

LaurentG

Quote from: Tronpo on November 02, 2022, 02:46:49 PM
Hola!! Prueba este truco,es muy sencillo.
Haz un mapa compuesto de OSM mapnik con cualquier otro mapa.
Usa 0SM mapnik como mapa base de zoom 5 a 20 y el otro mapa como capa de zoom 0 a 5 .

Después puedes usar el creador de mapas para descargar este compuesto, evidentemente haz de elegir la descarga de los zoom de 5 a 20 que son los que ocupa el mapa de OSM mapnik.

𝕥𝕣𝕠ℕ𝕡𝕠

Hi @Tronpo

your "trick" doesn't work.
Any composite map including OSM Mapnik layer generate the same "error" message when trying to download it with map creator to generate an offline map.

Lenz

Hi LaurentG, hi Tronpo,
for me the trick doesn't work in the free version 7.4.26 (the version owmapper has installed) but in 9.6.1 GP (even independently from the zoom levels). Tronpo, you obviously tried the trick with a newer version than 7.4.26, as you can't define zoom levels for composite online maps in this version.

Hi owmapper,
By chance I discovered this really simple trick, which works both in 7.4.26 and 9.6.1 GP:

• load a map that can be downloaded (e.g.Topo4u map)
  • start the map creator
  • change the map to OSM Mapnik
  • create your map

Please keep in mind that this function is not intended for downloading OSM Mapnik maps probably to avoid high server traffic. There are really great offline maps available for free.
By the way, which elements do you miss in OAM?

LaurentG

Hi Lenz,

it's tricky (normal for a trick...  ;) ) but, I agree, it works.

On the other hand, there is a very more simple way to create an offline map based on OSM Mapnik : create it using MOBAC (https://mobac.sourceforge.io/)

Lenz

Hi LaurentG,

to be honest, I created several offline maps - but none with OruxMaps maps creator. Nevertheless it is an easy way to quickly create and embed maps in OruxMaps without having to mess around which map format to use, how to get the map on the phone, etc.
MOBAC offers a greater flexibility and - what I like best - the option to define the areas to download with gpx files. I made maps from Bavaria DOP80 and geoland.at orthophotos which are updated regularly. By using the gpx borders I didn't have to define the areas every time the maps had changed. But this has definitely nothing to do with the topic ;)