How to delete a track from the map viewer

Started by dm413-om, November 24, 2022, 01:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dm413-om

First I import a gpx track. It shows correctly in the map viewer.
Then I go to manage tracks, and delete that track from the database.
When I return to the map viewer, the track(s) and any waypoints are still visible.
I have to exit and restart oruxmaps and then they are gone.

Is there a way to avoid having to restart?

Version 9.6.2 GP (but it has behaved this way for a long time...)

Juanjo

To remove a track or a route from the map viewer you must use the 'Clean Track' or 'Clean Routes/Waypoints' options on the 'Tracks/Routes' menu. This will remove them from the screen but they are still in the tracks database.

What you are doing is deleting them from the database (gone forever), not sure it is what you intented.

dm413-om

I played with this, but still can't remove a single deleted track.

Yes, I am talking about when I delete a track from the database.

If I load the gpx track as a route ("load them in the map viewer"), then I can use "clean routes/waypoints" to remove them from the map view. This works before or after I delete the track from the database. But clean routes/waypoints removes all routes and waypoints from the map. Is there a way to remove selected routes from the map?

If I add the gpx track as an overlay, then I need to use "map tools > remove overlay" rather than "clean routes/waypoints". This also works before or after I delete the track from the database. But it also removes all overlays from the map. Is there a way to remove selected overlays?

If I delete the track from the database, why isn't it automatically cleaned or removed from the map view?

Thanks,

Juanjo

QuoteIf I load the gpx track as a route ("load them in the map viewer"), then I can use "clean routes/waypoints" to remove them from the map view. This works before or after I delete the track from the database. But clean routes/waypoints removes all routes and waypoints from the map. Is there a way to remove selected routes from the map?

As far as I know, no.

QuoteIf I add the gpx track as an overlay, then I need to use "map tools > remove overlay" rather than "clean routes/waypoints". This also works before or after I delete the track from the database. But it also removes all overlays from the map. Is there a way to remove selected overlays?

Yes, 'Map overlays - Tweek Overlay'

QuoteIf I delete the track from the database, why isn't it automatically cleaned or removed from the map view?

Because deleting from the database and removing from the screen are two different things. You might want to remove a track from the database but still have it loaded on the screen.

dm413-om

QuoteYes, 'Map overlays - Tweek Overlay

Thank you for this! I had seen this screen displayed when I added a track to the map viewer (in the track manager), but I had not figured out how to get back to it.

For anyone else looking for this, it's actually 'Map Tools - Tweak Overlay'.

QuoteBecause deleting from the database and removing from the screen are two different things. You might want to remove a track from the database but still have it loaded on the screen.

Well, if you close Orux and restart it, the deleted track will no longer show on the screen. Having a track that shows on the screen but is not in the list of tracks in the database and disappears when you restart the app doesn't make sense to me. But it's not a big deal.

orux

There are 3 things that you can show on the map:
--current Track (the one you are recording).
--routes (loaded from your tracks database, your tracks list, or from a file, a gpx, kml,...)
--overlays, layers. From the list of your tracks, or from a file (kml, kmz, shp,..).

The difference between loading routes/(kml, kmz,...) as map layers or as routes is in the visual aspect. The layers on the map preserve the graphic attributes, color, fill,...

orux

Kapok

Quote from: dm413-om on November 26, 2022, 04:03:40 PM
Well, if you close Orux and restart it, the deleted track will no longer show on the screen. Having a track that shows on the screen but is not in the list of tracks in the database and disappears when you restart the app doesn't make sense to me. But it's not a big deal.
I agree with you, I think it would be confusing for most people. There are many UX/UI pain points in oruxmaps unfortunately.

You can remove a single route from the mapviewer by clicking on it, then click on the name, then click on the bin. By the way on this screen the UI is also suboptimal. We would expect to have a way to know what each button does on this screen especially the bottom line because it's not obvious at all. Well there is no way except by trial and error. I thought the help button would tell me that because that's what it does on many screens, but no, on this one it gives information about smth else.

Quote from: orux on December 14, 2022, 09:40:47 AM
There are 3 things that you can show on the map:
--current Track (the one you are recording).
--routes (loaded from your tracks database, your tracks list, or from a file, a gpx, kml,...)
--overlays, layers. From the list of your tracks, or from a file (kml, kmz, shp,..).

The difference between loading routes/(kml, kmz,...) as map layers or as routes is in the visual aspect. The layers on the map preserve the graphic attributes, color, fill,...

orux

Routes as overlays also seem to have a minimal impact on performance. Which is a big deal because performance gets quite bad after more than 10k points on my phone (GS10).