GPS fix alarm and status

Started by Off-track, November 03, 2017, 11:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Off-track

Hello Orux,

This post is just for information of the developer, and for other users looking for an easy way to check current GPS fix.

On a CAT S41 (stock Nougat) with OM 7.1.6, when I turn on 'Notify no GPS signal' it issues alarms every minute or so, no matter what settings I have chosen for GPS mode in OM or Battery mode in the phone (Normal, Sport, Standby intelligent power saving on/off). OM is listed as not battery optimized, and there is plenty of battery left (Battery saver is off).

The frequent alarms disturb the peace, so I turned this feature off. Track recording seems fine, and continuous.

For those seeking a quick way to check GPS fix status (without opening another app like GPS test or GPS status), just put 'GPS accuracy' on the OM dashboard. It shows accuracy in meters, followed by number of used satellites in brackets. With open sky, this typically shows 0 m or 1 m and about 15 satellites for me, even when the 'no GPS signal' alarm has just gone off. Occasionally I briefly see --(--) in red, meaning that GPS signal is really lost.

I suspect some interaction between OM and Nougat battery control that the user can not easily override. But it does not interfere with tracking by OM, even with phone battery set to Normal mode with Standby intelligent power saving on (for long battery life while tracking on a prolonged hike). Other well-known settings for this purpose are to set a custom 'default' GPS time interval in OM to compromise between accuracy and battery use, and turn on Flight Mode in the phone if you are in a region with poor phone reception (or while you do not need calls).

Perhaps the 'no GPS signal' alarm is set a little too sensitive in OM? But users can easily turn that alarm off, and use GPS accuracy on the Dashboard if desired for confirmation that they still have a GPS fix.

orux

Quote from: "Off-track"Hello Orux,

This post is just for information of the developer, and for other users looking for an easy way to check current GPS fix.

On a CAT S41 (stock Nougat) with OM 7.1.6, when I turn on 'Notify no GPS signal' it issues alarms every minute or so, no matter what settings I have chosen for GPS mode in OM or Battery mode in the phone (Normal, Sport, Standby intelligent power saving on/off). OM is listed as not battery optimized, and there is plenty of battery left (Battery saver is off).

The frequent alarms disturb the peace, so I turned this feature off. Track recording seems fine, and continuous.

For those seeking a quick way to check GPS fix status (without opening another app like GPS test or GPS status), just put 'GPS accuracy' on the OM dashboard. It shows accuracy in meters, followed by number of used satellites in brackets. With open sky, this typically shows 0 m or 1 m and about 15 satellites for me, even when the 'no GPS signal' alarm has just gone off. Occasionally I briefly see --(--) in red, meaning that GPS signal is really lost.

I suspect some interaction between OM and Nougat battery control that the user can not easily override. But it does not interfere with tracking by OM, even with phone battery set to Normal mode with Standby intelligent power saving on (for long battery life while tracking on a prolonged hike). Other well-known settings for this purpose are to set a custom 'default' GPS time interval in OM to compromise between accuracy and battery use, and turn on Flight Mode in the phone if you are in a region with poor phone reception (or while you do not need calls).

Perhaps the 'no GPS signal' alarm is set a little too sensitive in OM? But users can easily turn that alarm off, and use GPS accuracy on the Dashboard if desired for confirmation that they still have a GPS fix.

Hello, it's strange; But it is increasingly difficult to manage the energy savings in Android, because each manufacturer seems to have done it their own way. For example, it seems that the app can not work fine in some Huawei devices, but works fine in other brands.

That alarm checks the time since the last GPS position. The alarm warns if this time is more than 4 times the sensor setting -->GPS -->minimum time, (at least 60 seconds, if that value is zero or very small).

What is your adjustment in that value?

orux

Off-track

Hi Orux, I agree it is a phone (and/or Android version) effect as I do not get all these 'lost GPS signal' alarms with a ZTE A462 phone running Android 6. I have tried GPS sensor intervals of 1 sec, 2 sec, 4 sec and 30 sec: all gave the repeated alarms with the Cat 41S phone. It is not a problem: I just turn that alarm off, and put GPS accuracy on the OM Dashboard. Although I sometimes see --(--) there with a clear view of the sky, that effect is rare and short-lived.