Oruxmapsdesktop error generating images: one solution

Started by Off-track, November 04, 2017, 12:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Off-track

Probably not so many people need to get OM to display geo-referenced maps originating from image files (such as scans or non-referenced pdf files) now that geo-pdf capability is so good; but the need still arises occasionally.

For anyone experiencing failures, with the message "An error occurred while generating images" - try another version of the initial image files.

In my hands (using Oruxmapsdesktop version 2.1.0beta under Win7 with Java 8) .jpg files exported from Acrobat 8 always give this error. However, .jpg files saved through Irfanview, are processed without any error.

As an aside, when starting with charts provided in (non-referenced) pdf format, the final quality was much better when I used screen grabs (Snipping Tool) rather than pages exported from Acrobat; both finally saved in .jpg format through Irfanview. Because these charts have a Lat/Lon grid, referencing in Oruxmapsdesktop was easy (once I got over the incompatibility with some jpg flavours), and the results are fine in OM.

Edit: In fairness to Adobe, there are settings for quality, resolution and colour space when exporting to jpg from Acrobat; and some the these (non-default) settings yield high-quality (albeit larger) jpg files that process without errors in oruxmapsdesktop. The take-home message remains, if you get the error in oruxmapsdesktop, try another version of the initial image files.