New beta version, 7.2.XbetaX

Started by orux, December 07, 2017, 03:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orux

New beta uploaded.

I have changed the algorithm that paints the slope/shadow tiles.

I think it's better, but it's much slower. It is compensated by adding multiple threads to the creation of tiles.

These tiles are cached in file, so consecutive accesses will be much faster.

The proper maximum zoom level depends on the quality of the DEM files. It is difficult to calculate a priori.

For example, with 1" DEM files, level 16 is acceptable, but higher resolution DEM,s are available.

orux

Quercus.JB

Quote from: "Quercus.JB"Hola, el enlace con openandroimap ha dejado de funcionar en la ultima beta, cuando quieres descargar mapas o temas, se cierra la aplicación.

Saludos cordialeshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180214/ee28b67ee4ed47bcc06c3d7960b6da3c.jpg">

Enviado desde mi TA-1004 mediante Tapatalk
En la nueva beta ya funciona, se agradecería feedback. Saludos cordiales.

Enviado desde mi TA-1004 mediante Tapatalk

eartrumpet

The new hillshade map looks better, but is hardly usable. At this speed I would prefer the old algorithm, and, if possible, the above mentioned idea of adding zoom level min/max settings.

kerekjoe

hi experts,

how can I stop the random (generally after rotating the phone) changing menu language  (from the wanted, orux adjusted english, to "phone basic" /it is hungarian/)

it is happens at beta and stable version too.

maybe via deleting the orux hungarian language files ? (I can't find it)

thx!

orux

Quote from: eartrumpet post_id=12896 time=1519075975 user_id=518
The new hillshade map looks better, but is hardly usable. At this speed I would prefer the old algorithm, and, if possible, the above mentioned idea of adding zoom level min/max settings.

Hello,

There is a new beta.

I want to keep the new one. With modern devices (one plus5 for example), the entire screen is painted in 2-4 seconds. The old one is the default, but I added a new setting in maps--relief maps settings.

There is already a setting for composite maps in settings - maps - zoom settings. Limits the maximum zoom level to the maximum of the minimums. In this case, relief maps have a maximum level of 16.

orux

eartrumpet

Quote from: "orux"
Quote from: eartrumpet post_id=12896 time=1519075975 user_id=518

Hello,

There is a new beta.

I want to keep the new one. With modern devices (one plus5 for example), the entire screen is painted in 2-4 seconds. The old one is the default, but I added a new setting in maps--relief maps settings.

There is already a setting for composite maps in settings - maps - zoom settings. Limits the maximum zoom level to the maximum of the minimums. In this case, relief maps have a maximum level of 16.

orux
Strange, with a BQ X5+ which isn't that old it takes one whole minute at ZL14 with the new algorithm and just hillshade. Old algorithm, all else equal 2 seconds.

The zoom limit option you mentioned doesn't do what I would like: I want to have a mapsforge map with all ZL that are available with this map, and added hillshades at only some levels, e.g. 12-15. That would make the map render much faster at low levels, also I find shading distracting there. And again at high levels, where map details and contour lines are more important.

Maki

I briefly tried beta8 on a GPad 8.3, so not exactly a high end device nowadays and the new algorithm is plenty usable wit 1 arcsec DEMs. I just have sometimes some random tiles that take a few seconds to appear. I suppose that some things are strongly device-dependent.

The new algorithm is much better but I still see errors at tile borders. Looks like the calculations are vectorised, looks nice but there are arguments in favour to use the raw pixels with nearest neighbour interpolation (mostly not to give the user the impression of a higher than real precision): I'm agnostic in this, my maps use a 5 m grid and a continuous tone variation so I just don't have the problem. Maybe let the user choose between the two if possible.

Please, pretty please, do not tell the user "if you touch this you need to flush the cache", just do it as soon as the preference change is confirmed.

The measure tool is exactly what I expected, except for the use of % as slope unit. % works well when dealing with low inclines and as such is used on roads, but on slopes we commonly use degrees, at least in the ski touring/alpine world where the request was born.

Please also have a look at the dedicated thread about slope map request.

Thanks,

Maki

orux

Quote from: eartrumpet post_id=12906 time=1519160162 user_id=518
Strange, with a BQ X5+ which isn't that old it takes one whole minute at ZL14 with the new algorithm and just hillshade. Old algorithm, all else equal 2 seconds.

The zoom limit option you mentioned doesn't do what I would like: I want to have a mapsforge map with all ZL that are available with this map, and added hillshades at only some levels, e.g. 12-15. That would make the map render much faster at low levels, also I find shading distracting there. And again at high levels, where map details and contour lines are more important.

That device has a good CPU, strange.

Midium level devices, like huawei p8, takes 8-10 seconds the entire display.

About zoom levels; it is easy, I will add that feature.

orux

orux

Quote from: Maki post_id=12917 time=1519246004 user_id=100
I briefly tried beta8 on a GPad 8.3, so not exactly a high end device nowadays and the new algorithm is plenty usable wit 1 arcsec DEMs. I just have sometimes some random tiles that take a few seconds to appear. I suppose that some things are strongly device-dependent.

The new algorithm is much better but I still see errors at tile borders. Looks like the calculations are vectorised, looks nice but there are arguments in favour to use the raw pixels with nearest neighbour interpolation (mostly not to give the user the impression of a higher than real precision): I'm agnostic in this, my maps use a 5 m grid and a continuous tone variation so I just don't have the problem. Maybe let the user choose between the two if possible.

Please, pretty please, do not tell the user "if you touch this you need to flush the cache", just do it as soon as the preference change is confirmed.

The measure tool is exactly what I expected, except for the use of % as slope unit. % works well when dealing with low inclines and as such is used on roads, but on slopes we commonly use degrees, at least in the ski touring/alpine world where the request was born.

Please also have a look at the dedicated thread about slope map request.

Thanks,

Maki

Flush cache-> yes, it will work in that way, I need more time to do that.

Slope units-> I will add a setting in Units for selecting º, % and ºº.

Mapper-Alps12

Dear Orux,

thank you very much for the new algorithm, it is great and much better than the old one.

I use a HTC 10 wiht snapdragon 820 and here I see like otheres wrode before, that it takes nearly one minute to show the maptiles, when I use the high-precision lidar-.hgt from here http://data.opendataportal.at/dataset/dtm-spain">http://data.opendataportal.at/dataset/dtm-spain (for many countrys in europe, see details in the discussin in the openandromaps-forum here https://www.openandromaps.org/oam-forums/topic/neues-genaueres-hoehenmodell-fuer-oesterreich">https://www.openandromaps.org/oam-forum ... esterreich">https://www.openandromaps.org/oam-forums/topic/neues-genaueres-hoehenmodell-fuer-oesterreich) instead of the srtm-.hgt. I guess this is because the data-files are much bigger than the 1'' SRTM.

Maybe you can find a solution for this, too. Thanks in advance!

orux

Hello,

new beta version.

orux

orux

Hello,

new beta version.

orux

Maki

Beta 11 multimaps are broken for me. The old ones I had created disappeared and I can't create new ones, they are not saved. Or they are saved but not shown, in any case I don't see them.

I don't understand the zoom limits in the multimap creation phase. Why am I limited to ZL 16 for the slope map and hillshade? Makes no sense, it's common to upsize hillshading.

orux

Quote from: Maki post_id=12965 time=1520086272 user_id=100
Beta 11 multimaps are broken for me. The old ones I had created disappeared and I can't create new ones, they are not saved. Or they are saved but not shown, in any case I don't see them.

I don't understand the zoom limits in the multimap creation phase. Why am I limited to ZL 16 for the slope map and hillshade? Makes no sense, it's common to upsize hillshading.

Hi,

from which beta version did you come? remember that those maps are not shared with other versions (free and donate).

z16 is the max level for those maps in the app historically. It is overridden if you use mapsforge maps with hill shading, but not in composite maps. Not sure if it is useful at higher zoom levels,

orux

Maki

I came from Beta 10, but I really didn't use it, due to lack of time I just tried a couple of minutes the degree option with measure tool. Anyway I cleared app data and started from scratch, it works now. The multiply option is still broken, it only works when opacity is set to 1.0 which generally has a too strong effect: if you set it to 0.5 you should just weaken the effect but you actually lighten the whole map. Try it in any image editor.

When activating the slope maps you said we have to also set the dem resolution to the highest setting, which isn't the default. Anybody who isn't reading the forums wouldn't know. Automatically doing it (with a warning) as usually would be the best option.

I also noticed that I had to manually refresh the map list to see these special maps.