cacheing online maps

Started by aag, March 10, 2018, 01:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aag

I have a Samsung Note 8 with an enormous amount of storage (256 Gigabytes onboard + 400 Gigabytes on the SdCard). I use online topographic maps (SwissTopo), and would like to cache as much of them as possible. The reason is that SwissTopo limits the amount of downloads/year, hence I would want to avoid downloading the same tiles twice. Can somebody explain to me which parameters of the cache limits need to be configured in order to take full advantage of my storage and avoid cache reduction/clearing events? Thanks in advance!

orux

Quote from: aag post_id=13016 time=1520685522 user_id=1719
I have a Samsung Note 8 with an enormous amount of storage (256 Gigabytes onboard + 400 Gigabytes on the SdCard). I use online topographic maps (SwissTopo), and would like to cache as much of them as possible. The reason is that SwissTopo limits the amount of downloads/year, hence I would want to avoid downloading the same tiles twice. Can somebody explain to me which parameters of the cache limits need to be configured in order to take full advantage of my storage and avoid cache reduction/clearing events? Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Go to settings-->maps-->maps online-->upper threshold. Increase that value to a big value, in Mb, for example 20Gb = 20480 Mb.

Go to settings-->maps-->maps online-->lower threshold. Increase that value to a big value, smaller than upper value, in Mb, for example 15Gb = 15360 Mb.

The app will store tiles to the upper threshold. When reached, will ask you if you want reduce the size to the lower value.

orux

aag

Thank you Orux. I did that, however I seem to be unable to store any value higher than 9999 MBytes.

orux

Quote from: aag post_id=13029 time=1520695810 user_id=1719
Thank you Orux. I did that, however I seem to be unable to store any value higher than 9999 MBytes.

Upsss! yes, it is an old setting. I did not think ten years ago that we would be able to use those values.

I will change the maximum value for next version,

orux

happyman

I also use this cache feature before going offline.

is it possible to "seed cache" (some area with some zoom levels) automatically instead of doing it manually?