Some questions - sorry, I just can't find the answers!

Started by chris.willis, November 16, 2013, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.willis

Hi there!!

I've recently installed this program and had a fiddle around and have become stuck on a few things. I'm wondering if a couple of guru's out there could help me.

1. I was out walking today and when referring to the program for direction it had only these "refresh circles" and no map. After about 30 minutes walking they eventually came up and I had been going in the wrong direction. Is there a way to download maps for offline viewing and to avoid these refresh circles? I can't see the option. It'd also help so I'm not on digital data all the time.

2. After plotting a route I can't see the name of the roads. Is there a way to space the chevrons out, or change the chevrons for dots etc?

3. One of the more useful features on my Google Maps is it plugs in to a GPS navigator for driving a car. I find this VERY useful but can't seem to do the same sort of thing for Orux. Is there a way to do it? I can get the 3d maps after a download but it doesn't seem to track me very well.

Basically I'm using the program to (a) create a route, (b) follow a route in much the same way as an in-car GPS system but with the maps disconnecting for example, I'm sure you can see my problem!

Anyways, thanks for reading. I've pressed a thousand buttons today and can't work these things out.

Chris

febs

Questions like this make me think that there should be more awareness about what oruxmaps is about, and what is its great power (and what it can't do).

1. Yeah, oruxmaps really is about offline maps as well, and there are SEVERAL options to do so. Please refer to the manual for that. One pretty quick option is to use vector maps from http://www.openandromaps.org">www.openandromaps.org, but you can also scan your paper maps or download online maps for offline usage.

2 and 3. Oruxmaps is not a turn by turn navigation map (not yet at least), it is a topographic app (for hiking, cycling, sailing and... flying as well. Not very much for driving instructions.

Hope that helped!

Sent from my RunboX5-W using Tapatalk

chris.willis

Thanks for the reply, sorry to be a burden. Currently downloading those maps from the link you gave and I appreciate it. I find the Google map plugin to my navigation system is good when I'm walking on streets. Don't have to monitor it as it verbally tells me when to turn. Lazy, I guess. Yes, these offline options will be a huge enhancement especially with no data coverage and in bush (like yesterday!). I got bogged down in detail and lost sight. I guess I'll try figure from the manual where to install these maps, so thanks for the pointers, and have a great day!

Chris

febs

Probably "osmand" is the app that you're looking for.

Sent from my RunboX5-W using Tapatalk

midori

Go to the map menu at the top, the one with the icon of a world map, at the top right. Then look for "map creator". Then, you can select the top left, and bottom right corners of the area you want to download. I found it very easy to trial and error from there ;-)

goosiebn

2) Settings | User Interface | Colors | Route color - change the transparency to make the arrows see-through

Also, Settings | User Interface | Tracks | Route line width - experiment here to make the arrows bigger or smaller, sometimes bigger is better so the arrows are wider, or as wide as your roads, to make the arrows overlay the text in a consistent manner (thin arrows look more like noise through the text).

3) I use OruxMaps for Road Bike navigation.  It OruxMaps doesn't do routing, on-the-fly navigation, but you can follow a pre-designed route.

I use one of many on-line route planners to plan a cycle route that follows roads.

I download the completed route as a GPX.

I import it into OruxM and load it as a Track (Track - editable, Route - followable).

I add Waypoints at the junctions that I care about and give them names 'Turn Left', 'Third Exit'.

I then remove the Track to stop editing further.

You then load this as a Route and start recording your journey.  You want Route Follow, and Waypoint Navigation on (either at time of loading the Route, or by turning on in the Route menu).

How Route Follow and Waypoint Navigation functions for you can be set in Settings | Text to speech/Sounds.

Far from route alarm beeps when I deviate from the Route (Enable TTS turns on vocal coaching, not what I want).  I have Route alarm and Distance stop alarm set to 160m each - the alarm doen't start until I deviate from the Route by 160m (80m gave me some false alarms), then if I deviate by a further 160m (320m in total - trial and error discovered this), it turns off.

Near Waypoint alarm and Wpt voice msg read out your directions from the waypoints as you approach them, Wpt. Distance (again, 160m for me) determines when it does this.

Be wary of Routes that double back, because the Waypoint will be read on the way out and on the way back, so Turn Left won't work on the way back.