Garmin Tempe support

Started by kaeptnkriechstrom, November 27, 2013, 10:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaeptnkriechstrom

I recognized that Oruxmaps supports temperature sensors since 5.5.2. As the temperature is getting frosty I'd like to see the current temperature on Oruxmaps. So I bought the Garmin Tempe Ant+ sensor. I can see the device via IpSensorMan and I can read out the device ID but I can't configure it in the Ant+ menu of Oruxmaps as there is no line such environment or something similar. Can some one help me to configure the device?

orux

Quote from: "kaeptnkriechstrom"I recognized that Oruxmaps supports temperature sensors since 5.5.2. As the temperature is getting frosty I'd like to see the current temperature on Oruxmaps. So I bought the Garmin Tempe Ant+ sensor. I can see the device via IpSensorMan and I can read out the device ID but I can't configure it in the Ant+ menu of Oruxmaps as there is no line such environment or something similar. Can some one help me to configure the device?

Hi;

Sorry, but oruxmaps is not ready for that kind of ant sensor.

Oruxmaps supports temperature measurement in devices with internal temperature sensor, like some samsung devices.

orux

kaeptnkriechstrom

Mmmh, would it be a big problem to include this feature in a future version? I would really like to see the current temperature as I'm commuting with my bicycle also during winter time.

orux

Quote from: "kaeptnkriechstrom"Mmmh, would it be a big problem to include this feature in a future version? I would really like to see the current temperature as I'm commuting with my bicycle also during winter time.

I will try for next versions,

orux

kaeptnkriechstrom

Perfect, I'll try to be patient.  ;)  

Muchas gracias

Uli

I am interested too, but so far my phone S4 Active does not support Ant. Which phone do you use?

Written with S4 Active on TapaTalk

kaeptnkriechstrom

Hi, I'm using two Xperia devices. One old and small Xperia Active which is mounted to my bicycle and the new Xperia Z1. Both are supporting Ant+.

marcelleken

I'm also in favor of adding Garmin Tempe support to Oruxmaps. One year ago, I posted a request for this in the old forum: http://oruxmaps.foroactivos.net/t2902-support-for-garmin-tempe?highlight=tempe">//http://oruxmaps.foroactivos.net/t2902-support-for-garmin-tempe?highlight=tempe

In the meantime, I'm using the IpBike-app which added support for Tempe also one year ago (and, afaik, to this date, it is the only app that does this).

IpBike is a bit different from Oruxmaps (the latter is visually far more attractive, that's one thing  ;) ), but it still is a great app, especially for biking, so give it a try: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iforpowell.android.ipbike">//https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iforpowell.android.ipbike

orux

Initial support to garmin tempe in last .18beta-->http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=542">http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=542

orux

kaeptnkriechstrom

I just tried it and it is working perfectly. Will go for a walk outside to do some further testings. Many thanks.

marcelleken

'Orux', thank you very much for the Tempe - support, you're the best!

I tested the bèta on two devices, being the Xperia Active and Nexus     7 II (with connected ANT+ stick), and the Tempe is instantly detected. However, with ANT+ running on the Nexus 7, I noticed from time to time a popup saying that the ANT-connection was lost (and is going to be restored in 20 seconds). But I suppose this has nothing to do with the Tempe?

One more question: I exported the 'Tempe testfiles' as gpx, and uploaded them to Garmin Connect, where the temperature is displayed as average, min and max, in the summary. There is a temperature-graph, but unfortunately this is empty. Any idea if and how I could get these data displayed (using IpBike with Tempe, I'm always exporting to fit file, and there the temperature-graph is displayed correctly in GC). Thank you in advance for your help.

orux

Quote from: "marcelleken"'Orux', thank you very much for the Tempe - support, you're the best!

I tested the bèta on two devices, being the Xperia Active and Nexus     7 II (with connected ANT+ stick), and the Tempe is instantly detected. However, with ANT+ running on the Nexus 7, I noticed from time to time a popup saying that the ANT-connection was lost (and is going to be restored in 20 seconds). But I suppose this has nothing to do with the Tempe?

One more question: I exported the 'Tempe testfiles' as gpx, and uploaded them to Garmin Connect, where the temperature is displayed as average, min and max, in the summary. There is a temperature-graph, but unfortunately this is empty. Any idea if and how I could get these data displayed (using IpBike with Tempe, I'm always exporting to fit file, and there the temperature-graph is displayed correctly in GC). Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi, thanks;

The message appears if there is an error in the ANT connection. OruxMaps tries to restore the connection 20 seconds after the error.

About the data in the gpx file; open the gpx file with a text editor, and check if there is temperature information with each gps track point.

orux

kaeptnkriechstrom

Good morning, today I had perfect testing conditions. It was around 0 degree Celsius this morning and the Ant+ indicator in Oruxmaps stated 655.29 degree. When I arrived at work it was a bit above 0 degree. Seems as it currently can't display negative temperatures.

I also had a look in the Gpx file and the temperature is listed in there and I could also see the jump off temperature there. First 0.45 then 655.29 as it went from positiv to negative degree. Other than this it is all I wanted to have. Really good job.

marcelleken

Quote from: "orux"

Hi, thanks;

The message appears if there is an error in the ANT connection. OruxMaps tries to restore the connection 20 seconds after the error.

About the data in the gpx file; open the gpx file with a text editor, and check if there is temperature information with each gps track point.

orux

Ok, that explains it: yesterday I was testing the Tempe indoors, so no GPS connection. Today I took it outdoors (with Xperia Active), and it worked! Now I have a temperature graph in Garmin Connect. Thanks!

When I got back home, I tossed the Tempe in the freezer, to replicate the findings of 'kaeptnkriechstrom', and indeed: temperatures below freezing point are displayed as temperatures in the '650°C-region'. Don't know if this would be difficult to correct? But besides that: great app, and still getting better and better ;)

orux

Quote from: "marcelleken"
Quote from: "orux"

Hi, thanks;

orux

Ok, that explains it: yesterday I was testing the Tempe indoors, so no GPS connection. Today I took it outdoors (with Xperia Active), and it worked! Now I have a temperature graph in Garmin Connect. Thanks!

When I got back home, I tossed the Tempe in the freezer, to replicate the findings of 'kaeptnkriechstrom', and indeed: temperatures below freezing point are displayed as temperatures in the '650°C-region'. Don't know if this would be difficult to correct? But besides that: great app, and still getting better and better ;)

Thanks, I thought that such low temperatures were impossible  :lol:

Please, try with last .21 beta, I do not have freezer at home.

orux