Recent posts

MAPAS/MAPS / Re: Mapbox format offline maps
Last post by Hauke - Today at 06:39:02 PM
This is not the promised writeup, but I am _so_ blown away by the possibilities of the Mapbox maps in Oruxmaps that at least I'd give some more information on what I've achieved so that impatient people could follow my thoughts if they are tech savvy. Here's what I have achieved:

• Creating offline maps from online sources, both raster and vector
  • Creating an vector offline layer from OpenStreetMap data
  • Combining these created maps - again, both raster & vector, and even online and offline!
  • Adding my own glyphs, sprites and other style settings

A few more details:

1) Creating offline mbtiles files from an online source
1a) Vector
Currently I did this with basemap.de and using QGis (exists for Win, Mac and Linux). What I did is adding a vector tiles source. As URL you use for the map data:
https://sgx.geodatenzentrum.de/gdz_basemapde_vektor/tiles/v1/bm_web_de_3857/bm_web_de_3857.json
and for the excellent contour data:
https://sgx.geodatenzentrum.de/gdz_basemapde_vektor/tiles/v1/bm_web_hl_de_3857/bm_web_hl_de_3857.json
You can then add the vector tile sources to your project, and then from the Toolbox you select "Download vector tiles" and that let's you download them into an mbtiles file.
For the map data, max zoom level is 15, but 14 is enough, perhaps I'll try to go down to 13 if I analyzed the style files a bit more. It saves a lot of space to not go too deep. And with vector, at some point you do not gain real information anymore.
For the contours it is enough to download to level 13, unless you're interested in contour lines smaller than 10m spacing.
These mbtiles work flawlessly in Oruxmaps.

1b) Raster
I am currently planning my vacation in the Böhmerwald, which is half in Germany and half in the Czech republic. Unfortunately the Czech republic does not (yet?) offer vector tiles, but excellent raster tiles via WMS! For downloading them you could also add them to QGis - if you want to, add an ArcGIS rest Server with the URL
https://ags.cuzk.cz/arcgis1/rest/services
What I did is use Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC), where I added the "standard" BeanShell Script for WMS, using the source:
"http://ags.cuzk.cz/arcgis1/services/ZTM/MapServer/WMSServer?request=GetMap&service=WMS&version=1.3.0&layers=0&crs=EPSG:3857&width=256&height=256&styles=default&format=image/jpeg&bbox="+ mercatorTileEdges(x,y,zoom)There is also a WMTS, but its zoom levels are non-standard and I could not get it work.
The advantage of MOBAC is that you can do a polygon select instead of a rectangle, which in my case saved a lot of download of empty tiles in the border region between Germany and Czech republic.
Both, QGis and MOBAC allow the download of an mbtiles database, which again works flawlessly in Oruxmaps (at least MOBAC does, did not really try QGis).

2) Creating an vector offline layer from OpenStreetMap data
When hiking, I use the "official" maps of a country, like basmeap.de or the Czech Geoportal maps, and overlay them with a rendering of OSM data. This rendering contains (and some more):
  • tracks, paths and other non-car-ways - all that might be relevant while hiking and might not be contained in the official maps
  • POIs of my choice, e.g. benches and picnic sites, shelters, observation towers, waterfalls etc. - anything that I find attractive or useful while hiking
  • landscape features and relevant landuse, like cliffs, vineyards, ridges, glaciers etc.
  • Special way features like via ferrata, assisted trails, the SAC hiking scale classification etc.
  • names of many of the above features
The goal of this rendering is a) to have all the information I want to have in the map, and b) to identify ways that the official maps do not know, or vice versa, ways that are missing on OSM. I actively contribute to OSM, and I sometimes do a small detour on my hiking tours if I see a way that is not yet on OSM and I go there and map it afterwards.

To create this layer, my procedure is
  • Download the OSM info from Geofabrik as PBF files source is https://download.geofabrik.de/
  • If I have more than one PBF file, I use Osmosis to merge the PBF files into one (tilemaker - see below - can also merge data, but it does a bad job)
  • I use tilemaker to filter the relevant OSM information out and store them in a mbtiles file, which again works nicely with Oruxmaps

After first successes I went bold and downloaded the whole Germany PBF from geofrabrik, ran it through tilemaker - and lo and behold! - I took less than 5 minutes to process, and my OSM layer for _whole Germany!_ is just 650 MBytes - thats nothing! So cool...

3) Combining these created maps - again, both raster & vector, and even online and offline!
All this revolves around is creating your own Mapbox style file. I use the Maputnik editor (https://maplibre.org/maputnik/), and in order to use my selfmade vector layer, I provide it to Maputnik via tilemaker-server. Since this is a very simplistic server, I need to put it behind a reverse proxy to do HTTPS, using nginx. Sounds complicated, is simple after all. The cool thing is that in the style file you can define multiple data sources - and these can be raster or vector, and they can be online (just use the URLs of the tile servers online), or offline, stored as mbtiles on the Smartphone. For this, the source URL needs to be
      "tiles": [
        "http://localhost:8998/YourOwn.mbtiles/{z}/{x}/{y}.pbf"
      ],
Or .png or .jpg if it is raster. And again, you can specify multiple mbtiles sources this way. In my current version for the Böhmerwald vacation, I have four data sources:
  • The basemap.de downloaded mbtiles
  • The basemap.de downloaded contour mbtiles
  • The Czech geoportal raster download mbtiles
  • My OSM layer mbtiles file

I also have a second version of the style that has the basemap.de and the Czech geoportal as online sources, and my OSM layer as offline! This works as long as I have data reception with my phone (The Czech WMS layer is very slow - may need to troubleshoot this at some point...).

All this makes me _so_ flexible during hiking - it is a dream!

4) Adding my own glyphs, sprites and other style settings
Glyphs (aka font data for texts) are a nasty thing IMHO, since each font needs 256 files. Fortunately, you can either download them from existing vector offerings like basemap.de, or, even easier, you use https://maplibre.org/font-maker/ and put in the TTF file of your choice. After processing, you can download a ZIP with your glyphs - nice!
You also need sprites - i.e. one big PNG file which contains your images you want to use for POI-icons, line-patterns or area-textures, plus a JSON file that tells the renderer how to cut out the individual images again from the single PNG. Strange concept IMHO... Whatever. Problem is: There can be only _one_ sprite-file for the whole style! So you need to merge the sprite from other vector sources plus your own icons into a new sprite. For this I used "Free texture packer" (http://free-tex-packer.com/) - it is not perfect and the JSON needs a bit of editing afterwards, but it takes the bulk of the work.

As I said: This is just like a dream come true! I have _such_ a flexibility in putting maps together as I want, and from a bit of practical use it seems that even battery consumption is not too bad - Admittedly, based on statistics of one, the plus in battery consumption compared to old-style raster maps, is 10% max. But I'll be careful here, more real life experience needed.

The ability to zoom in without the need to carry tons of data is just awesome! Especially if you have place where tha rendering otherwise is very crowded due to many overlapping POIs.

Still, I have some issues, and some ideas which I hope OruxMaps developers may pick up:
  • Bug: when oruxmaps is put into the background, new tiles are not rendered anymore when I bring back Oruxmaps to the front. I need to switch to a different map and back, or restart Oruxmaps. My guess is that the tile-server on port 8998 dies. This is unfortunately _really_annoying, and when working with raster maps makes the whole thing unusable.
  • When I change sprites or the style, some settings/changes are only picked up if I restart the phone. Even closing and restarting Oruxmaps does not help. This is interestingly the same with the Maputnik editor! I need to restart my computer(!) to have some changes apply. Closing the browser is not enough.
  • When I pick the Oruxmaps functionality "Open an offline map here...", the offline mapbox maps are not listed. It would be really nice if they were.
  • Switch to MapLibre! Mapbox has become kindof closed source and as far as I understand costs money. Maplibre is a fork, it is basically compatible, and works just as well! In places even better - with Oruxmaps' rendering sometimes textures are strangely distorted when scaled up to the highest zoom levels. Maputnik/Maplibre have better results.

Find attached a screenshot of the Czech/German border region with some of my renderings explained. If you are interested in having the resulting files and/or the process files to look deeper, let me know, I'll make them available for download.

Let me say: I am _so_ happy with this new atlas options! Thanks to the Oruxmaps developers! I consider my 10€/year subscription very well invested. If the tile-server bug is fixed, this will be my new standard for hiking, that's for sure!
ERRORES/BUGS / Re: Mapbox offline maps: Webse...
Last post by Hauke - Today at 01:42:10 PM
I've more evidence that the tile-server dies. I've now integrated some raster map via mbtiles into my mapbox offline map (and that is SO! COOL! that this is possible! It expands the possibilities for offline maps so much! Thanks for implementing this feature!). If I send Oruxmaps into background and pull it up again, no new tiles are served - see attached "Broken.jpg". If I restart Oruxmaps (or switch maps back and forth), all is working again - see attached "OK.jpg".

Any chance this gets fixed? My gut feeling is that this should be an easy fix - but I may be totally wrong here...
GENERAL / Re: Résultats sur la carte lat...
Last post by Guy85 - May 18, 2024, 08:16:41 PM
Bonsoir,
Ah... d'accord.
Merci
BETAS / Re: New beta 10.6.x
Last post by Tronpo - May 18, 2024, 09:31:06 AM
Hello, I would rather bet that the problem comes from the Android updates, in particular 14 is the one that is giving the most war (I have several colleagues with orux and Android 14).
If you have all the public folders, with the permission to access all the files you should have no problems.
I have Android 11.
I use Oruxmaps Gp in public folders all ok
And Oruxmaps beta in private folders.
In the case of the beta, if I have problems accessing the Android data folders
BETAS / Re: New beta 10.6.x
Last post by jherb - May 18, 2024, 02:35:08 AM
I have the following problem with 10.6.2beta2 and beta3:

Starting yesterday, I cannot access any files from within OruxMap which were not created by it. I can see folders, but e.g. not any gpx files within them. (But image files like *.jpg or *.png are visible). The same applies to some map files. Older ones, which I can see by the Google Files browser, I cannot see from within OruxMap. But some newer maps, which I installed within the last year are visible.

I "solved" this by starting the process to "Move data to public folder" (if I remember correctly), granting Oruxmap access to all files and then "killing" the app.

Temporarily, also the Google Files browser didn't work but this issue somehow disappeared. I updated Android last month and OruxMap worked with that version. But perhaps this problem is somehow related to the latest updates by Google Play?

My versions are:
Android 14 (security updates of March 1st, 2024), Google Play system update May 1st, 2024.

All OruxMap files live within /storage/emulated/0/oruxmaps and its subfolders.

Does anybody know what happened? Was this caused by some system updates?
ERRORES/BUGS / Re: Maybe wrong calculation of...
Last post by olwaldi - May 17, 2024, 03:35:47 PM
Thanks for the quick response. That explains my issues partly.

And I might add that restarting oruxmaps changes much: Now the waypoints are centered correctly. And the height gain/loss have different, more correct values. Probabely now oruxmaps uses different height data sources?

And I had a misunderstandig: of course the height loss ist NOT zero, but instead should be the same as the height gain (for a roundtrip).

Regards, Michael
GENERAL / Re: Résultats sur la carte lat...
Last post by Tronpo - May 17, 2024, 02:31:40 PM
Hello, that data is displayed while you are recording the route. It's live information
ERRORES/BUGS / Re: Maybe wrong calculation of...
Last post by Tronpo - May 17, 2024, 02:24:23 PM
Hello, the planner data is given by the brouter / GraphHopper database, they are not from Oruxmaps, in my experience they are not reliable, (this has fix soon)
Once you have your route in the Oruxmaps database, do an altitude correction, with your DEM Confidence , you will see how you get more sensible data.
Regarding waypoints, when we mark a waypoint we don't always do it right on the route, Oruxmaps creates the waypoint where you have marked but the route line generates it at the nearest point existing in the planner database (brouter / GraphHopper).
I hope this helps you understand some of the anomalies you mention.
ERRORES/BUGS / Maybe wrong calculation of hei...
Last post by olwaldi - May 17, 2024, 12:37:49 PM
I've created a route with brouter using the recent oruxmaps  10.6.1 GP.

One can display route statistics - but I do not understand the meaning of height gain resp. loss. My route is a roundtrip, i.e. it starts and ends at the same location. Thus I'd expect to get a height loss of 0m - but oruxmaps reports 189m. Similar I mistrust the height gain - oruxmaps reports 164m, but qmapshacks calculates 380m.

Similar spurious: When I delete a waypoint during creation of my route the calculated max. height is at a wrong location/height.

Maybe also related: The tip of the waypoint icons do not end at the route but their circles seem to be centered at the route. But the automaticaly created km waypoints are rendered correct - i.e. their tips end at the route.

Please find enclosed my route as a sample.

Regards, Michael
MEJORAS/NEW FEATURES / Re: Bike radar plugin
Last post by matt - May 17, 2024, 06:58:40 AM
Interesting, "Garmin Radar Data BLE Protocol and Documentation" seem to be available on request
https://developer.garmin.com/radar-data-ble/overview/