Ordnance Survey maps

Started by petesx2, June 18, 2024, 10:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petesx2

Hi All.

I have a large collection of UK / GB Ordnance Survey (OS) maps that I've calibrated and converted to use on Oruxmaps, but they are about 20 years old now and some are out of date. I took the plunge and paid for an annual subscription to OS online maps. I've tried the OS app for android and compared to Oruxmaps it's absolutely rubbish, but obviously the maps are up to date.
Does anyone know of an "easy" way to scrape the OS maps, either from the web or the app, so I can use them in Oruxmaps? I can screenshot or print to pdf at A3 then extract and calibrate, but it's time consuming. Wondering if anyone else has a more elegant solution?

While I'm here - @Orux - Thanks for the best mapping application available - I've tried a lot of different ones and nothing comes close!

Thanks, Pete

LaurentG

If you have a paid suscription, you should have a "key", and then be able to get them with MOBAC.
Herafter a mapsource that works fine... provided you have an active key to insert.

petesx2

Quote from: LaurentG on June 18, 2024, 12:58:29 PMIf you have a paid suscription, you should have a "key", and then be able to get them with MOBAC.
Herafter a mapsource that works fine... provided you have an active key to insert.
Thank you - I'll give that a try and report back - probably be the weekend.

Tronpo

Quote from: petesx2 on June 18, 2024, 10:21:05 AMHi All.

I have a large collection of UK / GB Ordnance Survey (OS) maps that I've calibrated and converted to use on Oruxmaps, but they are about 20 years old now and some are out of date. I took the plunge and paid for an annual subscription to OS online maps. I've tried the OS app for android and compared to Oruxmaps it's absolutely rubbish, but obviously the maps are up to date.
Does anyone know of an "easy" way to scrape the OS maps, either from the web or the app, so I can use them in Oruxmaps? I can screenshot or print to pdf at A3 then extract and calibrate, but it's time consuming. Wondering if anyone else has a more elegant solution?

While I'm here - @Orux - Thanks for the best mapping application available - I've tried a lot of different ones and nothing comes close!

Thanks, Pete

Hello, out of curiosity install, and use the subscription trial days to download maps, check the app folders, there are no maps, they seem to be downloaded as cache memory
But I can offer you something, I think:) for mapsforge Openandromaps, There is an OS rendertheme , I leave it here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fu2xtxNOUM53O3aEJPpqToaF1FMqi8OD/view?usp=drivesdk

LaurentG

Thanks, @Tronpo, for this interesting theme.

Tronpo

"The Voluntary themes are designed with clarity and simplicity in mind. Colours and appearance are inspired by the world-famous UK Ordnance Survey maps. The variety of styles are complemented by carefully chosen options.

Also included is Velocity, a bare bones theme for extra speed and clarity."

https://voluntary.nichesite.org/

petesx2

Quote from: petesx2 on June 18, 2024, 05:10:54 PMThank you - I'll give that a try and report back - probably be the weekend.

Quote from: LaurentG on June 18, 2024, 12:58:29 PMIf you have a paid suscription, you should have a "key", and then be able to get them with MOBAC.
Hi LaurentG - So I've looked at my invoice - it's an annual subscription, not a free trial, and I have Invoice Number, Invoice Account, & Order Number - I've tried all three without success. I think it could require the equivalent of the old OpenSpace API key which I previously used on my website until the freebie was discontinued in 2021 - does anyone know where to find the required key in the OS maps subscription?
Thanks in advance :-)

LaurentG

Quote from: petesx2 on June 20, 2024, 02:57:04 PMdoes anyone know where to find the required key in the OS maps subscription?

Unfortunately, no...  :-[

Isn't it any support contact at OS where you could ask ?

petesx2

Quote from: LaurentG on June 20, 2024, 03:44:37 PMUnfortunately, no...  :-[

Isn't it any support contact at OS where you could ask ?
That's my next step, but I'm not sure they'll understand like you guys do ;-)