Strange (internal) GPS behavior

Started by magooz, November 29, 2014, 06:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magooz

Hi all, I'm not sure if this issue is Oruxmaps-related, nor if it's already covered in the thread: http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1730">//http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1730.

Anyway, I'm an amateur MTB rider from October 2012 and I always used Oruxmaps. Since then until 14/9/2014 with:
  • Oruxmaps from v. 3.* to 5.* (the last then-available version)
  • Samsung GT-B5512 (Android 2.3.6)
  • VERY VERY poor quality, full suspended, old steel bike
  • handlebar mounted phone casing

From 22/11/2014 onward:
  • Oruxmaps v. 6.0.1
  • Huawei Y550-L01 (Android 4.4.4)
  • aluminium front-suspended Btwin Rockrider 520
  • (different) phone casing mounted on the horizontal frame pipe

No problem ever occurred with the old "configuration" (apart from some low-mem errors or sudden phone reboots). With the new configuration, GPS behaves strangely.

During track recording on the first MTB ride (and in some subsequently in-car verifications), randomly but always with screen off, recording stopped sometimes (I have TTS speaking activated and it was not talking anymore) and GPS was found completely turned off from settings (even the corrisponding widget button was grayed out). I had then to manually turn on GPS, phone then quickly fixed signal and oruxmaps restarted recording (barely merging the last known GPS position with the newly found one). I kept trying to record some tracks while in-car, and very often (not always), when screen was turned off, even GPS did. I thought of some power-saving setting to disable so I set Oruxmaps as "protected" in a built-in phone app who explicitly states that unprotected app are killed upon screen turning-off.

Today, i.e. the first time I used Oruxmaps after that setting, I went off for another short (27 km) bike ride and GPS behaved differently: it was no more turned off, but it lost signal at least 4 times.

On the first and second times, it got signal fix by itself after a minute or two...

After the third time, it kept very long time before a new fix and it didn't occur, so I turned GPS off and back on again and it took fix immediately. After few minutes it lost signal again and never fixed (I noticed it on arrival).

What the hell is going on?

Thanks  :D

orux

Quote from: "magooz"Hi all, I'm not sure if this issue is Oruxmaps-related, nor if it's already covered in the thread: http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1730">//http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1730.

Anyway, I'm an amateur MTB rider from October 2012 and I always used Oruxmaps. Since then until 14/9/2014 with:
  • Oruxmaps from v. 3.* to 5.* (the last then-available version)
  • Samsung GT-B5512 (Android 2.3.6)
  • VERY VERY poor quality, full suspended, old steel bike
  • handlebar mounted phone casing

From 22/11/2014 onward:
  • Oruxmaps v. 6.0.1
  • Huawei Y550-L01 (Android 4.4.4)
  • aluminium front-suspended Btwin Rockrider 520
  • (different) phone casing mounted on the horizontal frame pipe

No problem ever occurred with the old "configuration" (apart from some low-mem errors or sudden phone reboots). With the new configuration, GPS behaves strangely.

During track recording on the first MTB ride (and in some subsequently in-car verifications), randomly but always with screen off, recording stopped sometimes (I have TTS speaking activated and it was not talking anymore) and GPS was found completely turned off from settings (even the corrisponding widget button was grayed out). I had then to manually turn on GPS, phone then quickly fixed signal and oruxmaps restarted recording (barely merging the last known GPS position with the newly found one). I kept trying to record some tracks while in-car, and very often (not always), when screen was turned off, even GPS did. I thought of some power-saving setting to disable so I set Oruxmaps as "protected" in a built-in phone app who explicitly states that unprotected app are killed upon screen turning-off.

Today, i.e. the first time I used Oruxmaps after that setting, I went off for another short (27 km) bike ride and GPS behaved differently: it was no more turned off, but it lost signal at least 4 times.

On the first and second times, it got signal fix by itself after a minute or two...

After the third time, it kept very long time before a new fix and it didn't occur, so I turned GPS off and back on again and it took fix immediately. After few minutes it lost signal again and never fixed (I noticed it on arrival).

What the hell is going on?

Thanks  :D

Hi,

There are new devices that include settings to force the phone to go to sleep.

May be your phone is one of them.

orux