Disable strava (and all other tracking) integration?

Started by libove, July 18, 2022, 11:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

libove

It's great, for those who want to be tracked by Strava, etc, that Oruxmaps now has integration with those things. I really appreciate the author's efforts - Oruxmaps remains a great app. (And, I have donated!)
I don't want to do any of those things. (If I do, I'll export the activity and manually import it).
Oruxmaps' user interface has become cluttered and confusing.
How do I completely disable Strava (and all other whatever-track, automatic-upload, etc) functionality in Oruxmaps, to remove all of those things from the user interface, so that Oruxmaps goes back to what it used to be so good at - showing me a route that I want to follow, and creating a GPX track of what I've done?

matt

Since you never wanted these integrations, i assume you never enabled them by adding e.g. any username/password to "global settings"->"Integration"?
Therefore you would have nothing to do, to "disable" it.

But, as far as i know, there is no mechanism, e.g. to hide the "upload to cloud" button in the property window of a track.

libove

Correct, I never set up user IDs, etc. It's not about disabling unconfigured sharing of information.
It's not just a button "upload to cloud" in the property window of a track.
In the new Unified Interface, in Tracks/Routes, there are a couple of icons in the top horizontal menu bar, and I expect in some other places too.
It is of course unavoidable that as the power of a piece of software/ service increases, the numbers of buttons, levers, and switches increases (look in any current model year mid-market or above car, for example). But for usability it would be good to be able to remove from the user interface entirely those sets of features that the user never wants to use, particularly on small (that is, smartphone size) touchscreens.

matt

i understand what you mean ;-)
It's a bit like 90% of the MS Word/Excel users, which are using maybe only 20% of it's capabilities & features. But see the fullblown menue on the top bar.

Haldo

well... Unified interface is designed to help newbie and others that do not want to mess up with all the possible configuration of buttons, bars and so on. It has all the most commonly used button and configurations

Once you managed to learn how to configure the app (manual should help) you can personalize all the aspect you want/need...and also get rid of the button yoiu don't use/want.

matt

Quote from: Haldo on July 18, 2022, 08:29:20 PM
...and also get rid of the button yoiu don't use/want.
Personally i am happy with the full blown menue. But can you point me to the direction, how someone could individually get rid of unwanted buttons?
I know the new "Unified Interface", but as far as i understood, it's a predefined and reduced interface.
EDIT: I know i can modifiy the menue swiping in from the left (pencil & tick or untick the highest menue level)

Haldo

Quote from: matt on July 18, 2022, 08:38:19 PM
Personally i am happy with the full blown menue. But can you point me to the direction, how someone could individually get rid of unwanted buttons?

In the menu You have to untick the unified interface and build the button bars from scatch in the user interface menu (left-right-down-up)
In attachment my button bars (the left, right and bottom disapperars after a few seconds)
The upper bar remains always visible.

Quote from: matt on July 18, 2022, 08:38:19 PM
I know the new "Unified Interface", but as far as i understood, it's a predefined and reduced interface.
EDIT: I know i can modifiy the menue swiping in from the left (pencil & tick or untick the highest menue level)

Yes it depends on your need. Personally I don't need the navigation button and I have delete it.

A good read of the manual solve most of the problem.

libove

Thanks for the information about how to customize the UI.

libove

Hm. But. Still. I'd like to be able to turn off even in the menus everything relating to Strava, etc. They do still clutter up the menus. It's not just the on-screen buttons that I'd like to simplify, but everything in the app that I won't use. (I do see a "Lite" mode, but I imagine this isn't quite what it would do).

Haldo

Quote from: libove on July 19, 2022, 05:11:34 PM
Hm. But. Still. I'd like to be able to turn off even in the menus everything relating to Strava, etc. They do still clutter up the menus. It's not just the on-screen buttons that I'd like to simplify, but everything in the app that I won't use. (I do see a "Lite" mode, but I imagine this isn't quite what it would do).

check in the menu if you log off from strava (see attachment)

libove

Thanks Haldo - I've never configured Strava access, and I'm not logged in to it. It's not about privacy, only about reducing menu clutter- getting rid of buttons that I'll never use.
I'm not as young and my brain is not as flexible as it was when I was writing UNIX device drivers, decades ago... 😅