Tracking with rough position (without GPS) in energy saving mode

Started by starbright, December 17, 2017, 10:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starbright

Is there a hard reason, why Oruxmaps doesn't work with energy-save position mode (via cell-ID and Wifi)?

If I want to start tracking it complains about that GPS is off.

It can be useful to track at least rough position by that, as for instance for long term travelling via train or car (not  for navigation).

This mode doesn't need extra energy and is precise enough to get an idea where I am. Ok, it might be not 10 or 100m, but 1 or 5km precision - but that might be enough.

Please let me know, whether this limitation can be overcome.

Thank you.

orux

Quote from: starbright post_id=12631 time=1513544578 user_id=2665
Is there a hard reason, why Oruxmaps doesn't work with energy-save position mode (via cell-ID and Wifi)?

If I want to start tracking it complains about that GPS is off.

It can be useful to track at least rough position by that, as for instance for long term travelling via train or car (not  for navigation).

This mode doesn't need extra energy and is precise enough to get an idea where I am. Ok, it might be not 10 or 100m, but 1 or 5km precision - but that might be enough.

Please let me know, whether this limitation can be overcome.

Thank you.

Hello;

the app is intended for precise positioning.

If you are worried about power saving, you can set a high value (till 1 hour between measurements) in settings-->sensors-->minimum time. But with a value of 8-15 or 30 seconds, the use of GPS in modern devices will not be a problem,

orux

starbright

It's not only that.

You can imagine that in some places there is no GPS available at all, or you might have a device that doesn't have a hardware GPS module. This is often the case with some tablets. I use one for planning trips - as screen is bigger - but it doesn't have GPS.