New BETA 5.5.19!

Started by orux, February 25, 2014, 05:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orux

New map viewer with:

-> Continuous zoom. Combines the digital zoom and tile level change as needed. No jumps between layer changes.

-->Rotate the map with two fingers (not available if the magnetic sensor rotates the map).

-->Drag the map meanwhile pitch to zoom.

->New KML/KMZ file reader, faster.

-->NO BETAS AVAILABLE!

:beta8

-->online maps organized in folders. online maps can be hidden (long press). restore online map sources with top 'refresh button'.

:beta7

-->change in nomenclature. from .17 to .19, because the release of .18 version, that solves some bugs.

:beta4

-->double tap (move & zoom) progresive.

-->mapsforge maps cached for fast rendering.

:beta3

-->progresive zoom using buttons (on screen or volume buttons).

-->disabled bitmap filtering during zoom.

-->button zoom operations always finalize in a x2 digital zoom level.

-->new bugs? ;)

:beta2 with a lot of changes! may be new bugs, sorry :)

-->enabled smooth bitmap scaling

-->disabled the rotation when zooming, and the zoom when rotating.

:beta1

-->improved zoom

orux

Legend

Hi again Jose, I am glad we have a new beta for testing :-)

I use multilayer offline maps (50% and 100%) and only the 50% zoom layer is visible with the new zooming method.

I tried digital zoom, between layers and combined with the same results. The 100% zoom never loaded.

The digital or combined zoom just zooms digitaly in the 50% layer and I get a blur image.

When I use "only between layers" zoom, the number in the dashboard that indicates the digital zoom increases but the map zoom does not change.

I have already sent you from previous tests a sample of the maps I am using. These are originaly for oziexplorer and converted with Oruxmapsdesktop

Thanks

Haris

orux

Quote from: "Legend"Hi again Jose, I am glad we have a new beta for testing :-)

I use multilayer offline maps (50% and 100%) and only the 50% zoom layer is visible with the new zooming method.

I tried digital zoom, between layers and combined with the same results. The 100% zoom never loaded.

The digital or combined zoom just zooms digitaly in the 50% layer and I get a blur image.

When I use "only between layers" zoom, the number in the dashboard that indicates the digital zoom increases but the map zoom does not change.

I have already sent you from previous tests a sample of the maps I am using. These are originaly for oziexplorer and converted with Oruxmapsdesktop

Thanks

Haris

Hi, Haris, thanks;

in settings--maps, please:

set pre-zoom level to 100%

and pitch to zoom mode to 'between layers'

I have to remove the pitch to zoom setting, because it has no sense with the new mode,

orux

Legend

Quote from: "orux"
Hi, Haris, thanks;

I have to remove the pitch to zoom setting, because it has no sense with the new mode,

orux

You are right!

With the pinch zoom set to "Only between layers" the zoom works as you describe.

The default zoom level is 100% and the zoom autoload is checked.

Sometimes there is an accidental rotation of the map :-)

Maybe an option to disable the rotation should be useful.

With the screen buttons (combined zoom) it works as before.

I also had some crashes.

I think that if we have pinch zoom out and rotation at the same time, when we reach the point that the less detailed map will load, the application crash.

Another notice,

Sometimes during zoom in or zoom out, the less detailed map with a lot digital zoom is loaded.

For example if I zoom in from digital zoom 46, sometimes the less detailed map with a large number of digital zoom (larger than 160 or 200) will load. If I continue to zoom in, the detailed map will load again with digita; zoom 68.

Also during map transition on neighbor maps the zoom level is not kept the same. So when I slide the between maps I have different zoom levels.

Haris

orux

Quote from: "Legend"
Quote from: "orux"
Hi, Haris, thanks;

orux

You are right!

With the pinch zoom set to "Only between layers" the zoom works as you describe.

Sometimes there is an accidental rotation of the map :-)

Maybe an option to disable the rotation should be useful.

With the screen buttons (combined zoom) it works as before.

I also had some crashes.

I think that if we have pinch zoom out and rotation at the same time, when we reach the point that the less detailed map will load the application crash.

The default zoom level is 100% and the zoom autoload is checked.

Haris

Thanks.

Yes, I will add an option to disable rotation gesture.

You can reset rotation using reset zoom button.

Do you have enabled bug report option (settings--application)?

If you can reproduce the crash, I will receive a report if you have data connection.

orux

Legend

Sorry but while you was answering the post, I was editing it :-) :-)

Yes the "send anonymous bug report" is checked

skibum218

Quote from: "orux"New map viewer with:

-> Continuous zoom. Combines the digital zoom and tile level change as needed. No jumps between layer changes.

orux

Just quickly tried the continuous zoom. Great feature! Thanks for all of your hard work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

arthur

I am trying the new zoom feature and when there is only the one map (with many layers) it seems to work as expected.

However when I have two maps - one with one layer at zoom 14 and the other with many layers (zoom 6 - 13) - it seems to do odd things when zooming from levels 13 to 14 and back again. (I have "zoom autoload" ticked.)

For example when pinching in (in other words zooming out) the map will go from zoom 14, 57% to zoom 13, 221%. I would expect the map to switch to layer zoom 13 but with a percentage less than 114%.

orux

Quote from: "arthur"I am trying the new zoom feature and when there is only the one map (with many layers) it seems to work as expected.

However when I have two maps - one with one layer at zoom 14 and the other with many layers (zoom 6 - 13) - it seems to do odd things when zooming from levels 13 to 14 and back again. (I have "zoom autoload" ticked.)

For example when pinching in (in other words zooming out) the map will go from zoom 14, 57% to zoom 13, 221%. I would expect the map to switch to layer zoom 13 but with a percentage less than 114%.

Hi,

thanks;

updated beta1.

it is difficult to manage all situations.

check your default pre-zoom level. If different than 100%, for example 200%, the digitial zoom should change between 150% and 300% at each layer, aprox.

orux

Legend

I just installed beta1.

The pintch zoom works excellent! I don't have the unwanted transitions between layers we mentioned above :-)

Good job!

I noticed that the amount of the digital zoom performed before going to the next level, dependeds on how detailed is each map.

For example my less detailed map has information up to level 10 and my next detailed map is at level 14. So it have to digitaly zoom a lot befor changing to the next map.

I think this is very good behaviour!

The feature to maintain zoom levels when sliding the map is also fixed!

The crash problem seems also fixed, I tried the same procedure but never crashed until now.

I hope the reports helped with that :-)

The only issue I noticed now is that the on screen buttons zoom does not changes maps during zoom despite the fact that the "Zoom autoload" is checked. I tried with "combined zoom" and "Only between layers" selected.

When combined zoom is selected, the digital zoom works only at the highest leyer of the map.

Bravo,

Keep improving!

Maki

Hi, Jose, great news! One of my gripes with Mapsforge maps in the current stable release of Oruxmaps is the excessive gap between zoom level, which is exacerbated by the second or so of blank screen during redraw, plus the fact that the map will be at a different magnification than the one where I lifted my fingers. The feeling of the new beta when zooming is excellent, so fast, natural and smooth!

However there are IMHO some rough points.

Rotation is too easy to trigger by mistake. I agree that there should be an option to disable it completely. But even when enabled it should be made harder to activate. In Google Maps there is a high threshold to activate rotation. Also, while you can zoom after having started a rotation, if you start with zooming rotation is inhibited. I think it works better that way.

BTW, I find especially smart the triple tap and drag in Google Maps, as it allows to zoom with a single hand. It would be nice to have it in OM.

Then there is the real problem: image quality. Sorry to be blunt but it really sucks, sometimes it's really disturbing. I understand the need for speed when moving, but afterwards the screen should be redrawn with a better resampling algorithm. I attach a couple of screenshots, one with a 122% digital zoom in OM, the other with cubic resampling in GIMP to see the difference in smoothness: it's huge.

http://tartamillo.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/screenshot_2014-02-26-21-19-49.png">http://tartamillo.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/screenshot_2014-02-26-21-19-35.png">

There could also be a snap to round values for the zoom, it doesn't really make sense to resample at 98% or 102%, it just ruins image quality without any benefit.

I see that the distance scale at the bottom of the screen doesn't scale accordingly.

Thanks,

Maki.

arthur

Thanks for fixing.

(Just to echo the previous posts, that the pinch to zoom seems to be fully working with the beta1, and I agree it works well with missing layers e.g. if map has some zoom levels missing. Similarly scrolling out of map range (where not all layers have the same coverage) seems to be fine.

One point is that it would be very good if the volume key "combined zoom" worked exactly like the pinch to zoom with a constant increment, e.g. 25%, added or subtracted with each volume key press. In other words with automatic movement between layers while keeping the zoom rate constant. Not sure if this is feasible.)

orux

Quote from: "Maki"Hi, Jose, great news! One of my gripes with Mapsforge maps in the current stable release of Oruxmaps is the excessive gap between zoom level, which is exacerbated by the second or so of blank screen during redraw, plus the fact that the map will be at a different magnification than the one where I lifted my fingers. The feeling of the new beta when zooming is excellent, so fast, natural and smooth!

However there are IMHO some rough points.

Rotation is too easy to trigger by mistake. I agree that there should be an option to disable it completely. But even when enabled it should be made harder to activate. In Google Maps there is a high threshold to activate rotation. Also, while you can zoom after having started a rotation, if you start with zooming rotation is inhibited. I think it works better that way.

BTW, I find especially smart the triple tap and drag in Google Maps, as it allows to zoom with a single hand. It would be nice to have it in OM.

Then there is the real problem: image quality. Sorry to be blunt but it really sucks, sometimes it's really disturbing. I understand the need for speed when moving, but afterwards the screen should be redrawn with a better resampling algorithm. I attach a couple of screenshots, one with a 122% digital zoom in OM, the other with cubic resampling in GIMP to see the difference in smoothness: it's huge.

There could also be a snap to round values for the zoom, it doesn't really make sense to resample at 98% or 102%, it just ruins image quality without any benefit.

I see that the distance scale at the bottom of the screen doesn't scale accordingly.

Thanks,

Maki.

Hi, thanks;

I have been very awkward!

It was off the filtering of bitmaps for years, for performance issues, but I think it should now work well on all devices.

The new beta inclue some of your suggestions.

orux

Legend

beta2 allready out and testing! :-)

I believe that the image quality is very good!

No more accidental rotation, If you want rotation you rotate, if you want zoom, you zoom.

The choice in settings for enabling/disabling rotation very helpful too!

I noticed three little things.

1)The on screen buttons or volume buttons zoom doubles the size every time they are pressed. Maybe a little smaller amount of zoom whould be better, in my opinion.

2)If I load a kml overlay or a track, if I use the buttons for zoom, the thikness of the track changes during zoom, sometimes is very thik and on the next zoom level or when I use pinch zoom it becomes normal.

3)A little strange shape of the kml overlay, a lot of corners and straight lines. This is not disturbing it keeps the shape, I just mention it.

Great job!

Haris

Legend

Another quick one :-)

4)When I reach the highest layer of my offline maps, oruxmaps naturally performs only digital zoom as long as it cannot find the next layer.

During this digital zoom, the scale bar stops changing and we have larger map with the same scale bar.