New BETA 5.5.19!

Started by orux, February 25, 2014, 05:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthur

Beta2 works well for me. The new zooming and rotation is very smooth.

(I notice the point Legend makes about the thickness of tracks.

Regarding the amount of zoom with the volume keys, I think the default of a doubling on each press is about right if, like me, your maps have a lot of layers. However I can imagine that others would want a lower amount of zoom with each press. Maybe the amount of zoom with each key press can be a parameter.)

Regards

goosiebn

I use volume keys to zoom with the digital zoom for volume keys turned off, with openandromaps.

I'm finding that if I zoom in or out twice, the first zoom happens digitally and it starts rendering the new zoom level. If I zoom the second time immediately, only the tiles that had had time to render at the previous zoom are now digitally zoomed - the tiles from the zoom previous to that (the original zoom level) are now discarded.

This makes zooming almost as jarring as it used to be on slower devices.

I would expect all tiles to be continually digitally zoomed until a full redraw has finished.

goosiebn

Also would be handy for volume key non digital zoom to have a quick transition effect between the two zoom levels to mirror the polish you're achieving with pinch zoom.

Legend

Quote from: "Legend"beta2 allready out and testing! :-)

2)If I load a kml overlay or a track, if I use the buttons for zoom, the thikness of the track changes during zoom, sometimes is very thik and on the next zoom level or when I use pinch zoom it becomes normal.

I just saw that we have the same with the waypoints' icons and the cursor during tracklog.

Maki

On my Galaxy Nexus with OpenAndroMaps the Beta2 works fine except for the bug already posted by Legend at zoom level 20.

Rendering is perfect now, and gesture handling works well, no unintentional rotations.

Zooming is fluid enough, but I notice that without bitmap filtering it was faster, it felt like the map was glued to the fingers. Right now there is a very slight lag on my device, not annoying at all, if I hadn't tried the previous version I'd probably wouldn't notice it. But if possible I'd try an option to turn filtering off while zooming. I suppose that on older, slower phones it can be worse (or maybe not, since they have less pixels to move around).

Another minor thing is the threshold to change zoom level. It seems that you go to 140% of the current level and then move to 70% of the next one. I'd try to change that to 145-150%. The reason is that at 70% some symbols get a bit small and may lose legibility. I'm not sure about this one, just a feeling.

Thanks again, this is a really welcome improvement.

goosiebn

It would also be nice for volume button non digital zooming to snap back to 100%. That way I can do fine zooming with pinching and predictable zooming (100% digital, cycling between zoom levels - as it used to be) with volume (or on - screen buttons).

Otherwise, to get predictable zooming on the volume keys I have to use digital zoom on the on screen buttons to snap back to 100% first.

Legend

Too many different opinions about the threshold and the step :-) :-) i suppose confusing for the developer :-)

These opinions depends on the size of the screen of each user and on the maps he is using.

For example the 50% buttons step is very good on my 3.4 inch phone but too much on my 7 inch tablet :-)

goosiebn

The digital zoom isn't snapping to 100% as I originally thought it was, but I have found the 100% zoom button now.

I would like the buttons, digital and non digital zoom, to somehow snap back to 100% as they are used, without having to press this other button first.

goosiebn

I'm also having trouble snapping the map back to North.

I'd like anyway to have a map orientation symbol, but it would be handy if you pressed it the map would spin back to North. Google Earth does this when you double click on the N of the map orientation tool.

goosiebn

Map zoom dashboard button isn't constantly refreshing as you are panning and zooming, but coordinates and DEM altitude are.

nanu

@orux

includes this beta also a solution for this issue ?

http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=477">//http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=477

thanks

nanu

orux

Quote from: "nanu"@orux

includes this beta also a solution for this issue ?

http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=477">//http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=477

thanks

nanu

Hi,

I think that in last versions, only when gps moves the map, the map should rotate in your direction (if this mode is enabled).

Sure that the last betas work in this way.

orux

orux

Quote from: "Legend"Too many different opinions about the threshold and the step :-) :-) i suppose confusing for the developer :-)

These opinions depends on the size of the screen of each user and on the maps he is using.

For example the 50% buttons step is very good on my 3.4 inch phone but too much on my 7 inch tablet :-)

Hi,

All suggestions are welcomed :)

Among all the ideas we can find interesting alternatives.

Later there will be the option to define the threshold.

Please, try last beta.

orux

arthur

Beta 3 works well for me.

One thought is that when manually switching maps it would be good if oruxmaps kept the true scale constant even if the maps had different zoom levels.

For example suppose oruxmaps was displaying map A (on zoom level 14 and digital zoom 150). Then suppose we manually switch to map B which has no zoom level 14 but has a zoom level 13. Then on switch it would be good if oruxmaps showed map B on zoom level 13 with digital zoom now 300 to keep the scale constant. This would be useful when comparing the same ground features in different maps (with layers of different zoom levels).

Legend

Beta 3 tested for a while

The thickness of the drawn tracks, overlays and waypoints is OK now!

The progresive zoom is very good opticaly!

Sometimes during zoom out (with the buttons) I have a little lag, propably when redrawing the map.

The funny thing is that the lag is bigger at my 2core tablet and smaller at my 600MHz phone.

Maybe because at the big screen, bigger surface of the map needs redrawing.

Don't consider the lag as critical, there is no problem and the application is full useable :-)

The scale bar is working perfect, it keeps changing until you reach the highest digital zoom