New beta version 8.0.x [CLOSED, NO BETA VERSION AVAILABLE]

Started by orux, August 03, 2020, 11:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orux

Hello!

We start a new beta version.

:beta8
--Disabled mock location provider. It is not ready for a release. It uses a sensitive permission.
--More changes in the map viewer engine. It should be faster.

:beta7
--try to disabled 3D cache if detect problems
minor changes

:beta6
--minor updates
--bugs correction

:beta5
--return to old mapsforge libraries. The new ones weren't a good solution yet. They do a lot of extra work (then they are slower) and have other bad side effects. Let's hope that in future releases they will find a solution to that problem.
--Changes in the 3D viewer. The problem is that now the application tries to cache in files what takes the longest to do, which is 3D meshing. But I can't seem to get a format that works on all devices, there is something that depends on the manufacturer that I do not control. If this doesn't work, I'll see how to disable cache when it's not supported.

:beta4:--some changes in mapsforge libraries:
-added option to modify global scale of objects in global settings - maps - mapsforge settings
-changes to avoid labels cut at the margins of the tiles. does it work? Is rendering slower?
--bug correction with 3D view--select a map for using when creating track thumbnails

:beta3--bugs correction

:beta2--some bugs correction

News:
1.-New Trip Computer View, with satellite information. It should work with both internal or external GPS. You can hide (from the sky view) satellites if you tap the constellation name to the right. And you can sort the satellite list if you tap the column name.

There is a 'save button' at the top buttons bar, that logs the NMEA sentences to a file. Useful for testing purposes,

2.-Map buttons with actions: Global settings-->Application-->Assign actions to keys. If you use an external keypad, keyboard, or similar device, paired with your Android, you can select what each button does.

3.-A new Overlay draw tool. Maps button-->overlay options-->draw overlay. the bottom-left is for selecting the mode you draw lines/polygons/waypoints. Now you can draw with the finger, or with consecutive taps.

4.-OruxMaps as mock locations provider. With that tool, you can replay your Tracks, or use them as simulated locations for other apps. It is a bit hidden that feature:
a) you have to enable developer options in your Android.
b) then, in Developer options, select OruxMaps as mock locations provider app.
c) In the current beta, the only way to start/stop mock locations is by adding a new button at the left/right buttons bar-->mock locations button.d) When you press that button, the app allows you to select the GPX/KML file you want to use for generating mock locations. A new icon will be displayed at the Android buttons bar. If you start the GPS, the app will receive the mock locations, like other apps. If you want to use a Track from your Tracks list, select it, there is a new option to start mock locations with that Track.

You can tweak the mock locations speed if you open the right panel, there are two +/- buttons to increase/decrease the speed of locations sent to the device.

Use it with care! Remember that are simulated locations for all the apps that are listening for locations!

orux

JCS666

Hola Orux, ya esta instalada esta nueva beta para ayudar en lo posible.

Tengo una sugerencia que no se si veras de interés, llevo unos 6 años usando tu aplicación de forma continuada y registrando todas mis salidas en btt, el caso es que el archivo de rutas que almacena ya pasa de 50 megas, y cada ruta nueva para hacer copia de seguridad obliga a copiar esos mas de 50 megas, lo que comienza a ser pesado.

Se me ocurre si sería posible que el programa trocease su base de datos, por ejemplo en periodos de un año, con lo que el fichero a actualizar copiar etc siempre sería de un tamaño mucho mas manejable.

Lenz

Hello Orux,
the problem concerning thumbnails as described in reply #280 in https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=28993.270 still exists in v 8.0.5 beta 1 whereas it doesn't occurr in v 8.0.4 GP.

Greetings from Bavaria

orux

Quote from: Lenz on August 03, 2020, 07:31:24 PM
Hello Orux,
the problem concerning thumbnails as described in reply #280 in https://oruxmaps.org/forum/index.php?topic=28993.270 still exists in v 8.0.5 beta 1 whereas it doesn't occurr in v 8.0.4 GP.

Greetings from Bavaria
A new beta released.

The problem with black tiles is that it is the image returned by the server. Instead of sending nothing, they send a black tile; The app does not know that it is an error.

In the last beta I have changed the default provider, to see if it works better ...

orux

Lenz

Hello Orux,

everything is fine concerning the thumbnails in v 8.0.5 beta 2.

Suggestion:
Is it possible to let the user choose an offline map from which the thumbnails are being created? So the creation process would be independent of a map provider/server. If no offline map is chosen or available, an online provider could be used.

Lenz

Mapper-Alps12

Hello Orux,

I haven't been here for some weeks (since I have Oruxmaps 8.0.4 from Playstore) and so I'm surprised of the great satellite information in Trip Computer View. Super, good work, really fine!

And the thubnails work too, with beta2. The Idea of Lenz in the reply #4 would also be a great improvement. If you could manage that the user could chose an offline map or custom WMS Service or another custom online provider of which the thubnails are created I would be happy.

Thanks in advance!

afgb1977

Quote from: orux on August 04, 2020, 01:15:12 PM
Quote from: Lenz on August 03, 2020, 07:31:24 PM
Hello Orux,

Greetings from Bavaria
A new beta released.

The problem with black tiles is that it is the image returned by the server. Instead of sending nothing, they send a black tile; The app does not know that it is an error.

In the last beta I have changed the default provider, to see if it works better ...

orux

Hola Orux.
Efectivamente ya se pueden ver las miniaturas en el menú de Tracks con la última Beta.
Puede indicarnos que proveedor se usa ahora para cargar estás miniaturas?

Algo más, voy a remover el Topic iniciado por mi (Nueva Beta Orux 8.0) para que no sea confundido por el Topic oficial de las nuevas Betas.

Looki

Hello Orux,

could you add another gps status app to choose, namely SatStat from F-Droid? It's a light, free, and opensource without ads. Very fast, very stable and accessible for everyone. It's so good that I have switched to it after using GPS Status app for many years.
By the way, do you plan to add built-in status windows (possibly accesible by side button from main window)?

Regards.

orux

Quote from: Mapper-Alps12 on August 04, 2020, 07:49:56 PM
Hello Orux,

I haven't been here for some weeks (since I have Oruxmaps 8.0.4 from Playstore) and so I'm surprised of the great satellite information in Trip Computer View. Super, good work, really fine!

And the thubnails work too, with beta2. The Idea of Lenz in the reply #4 would also be a great improvement. If you could manage that the user could chose an offline map or custom WMS Service or another custom online provider of which the thubnails are created I would be happy.

Thanks in advance!

New update

Thanks;
Yes, I will add the option to select another map for thumbnails,

orux

sylphide

Hello,
a small detail but which could be very practical, when creating a wmts map, the drop-down list of layers always comes at the top. would it be possible to change that? as well as the zoom configuration
thanks a lot.

Best regards.

TonyM

Hello,
one note, the map does not move along with the cursor. The cursor crosses about 20-30 m before the map moves. This has been going on for a long time in beta versions, at least for me (android Oreo), the last one that didn't have this problem is version 7.4.22.
Is it possible to adjust the map offset more fluidly when moving in real time?
Sory on bad eng. and congratulations on an otherwise great app.

orux

Quote from: sylphide on August 07, 2020, 08:31:21 AM
Hello,
a small detail but which could be very practical, when creating a wmts map, the drop-down list of layers always comes at the top. would it be possible to change that? as well as the zoom configuration
thanks a lot.

Best regards.
Hello!

not sure what do you mean, could you explain it a bit?

orux

orux

Quote from: TonyM on August 07, 2020, 12:59:54 PM
Hello,
one note, the map does not move along with the cursor. The cursor crosses about 20-30 m before the map moves. This has been going on for a long time in beta versions, at least for me (android Oreo), the last one that didn't have this problem is version 7.4.22.
Is it possible to adjust the map offset more fluidly when moving in real time?
Sory on bad eng. and congratulations on an otherwise great app.
Hello!
global settings--user interface--miscellaneous UI--move map instantly

orux

TonyM

Hello!
I missed ... :-).
Thanks for quick response.

Greetings.

Andrea65

Hola Orux,
the new beta1 (not tested yet beta3) does not create activity thumbnails.
See attached screenshot.

By the way, tried also to "rebuild" these two thumbnails by giving the command "reload thumbnails", but nothing happened.

Kind regards, Andrea